Home > Trip Reports > August 4/08-Coleman Pinnacle Tour

August 4/08-Coleman Pinnacle Tour

8/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 8/5/08 10:39am
  Most of my winter/spring ski partners are hibernating, but I convinced an acquaintance to give August skiing a try. Steve and I left an empty Artist Point parking lot at 9:30 and had the mountain almost to ourselves for the day. My first impression was that there was much more snow than any other August trip that I have taken. We followed the trail out to the sw corner of the Pinnacle and took in the views and some food. Finally it was time to put on skis and play.

Photo #1 shows the 825vf run that we got from the Pinnacle. It also shows some of the runnels that we either avoided or jumped. What was different this year was the fact that the snow tongues were still somewhat connected at a lower elevations. I skinned (without skins) almost back to the hairpin turn in the trail. After a short carry, we were ready to ski across country to the snowy connector (looker's right of Steve in Photo #2) that took us to the last ridge before the Ptarmigan Ridge/Table Mountain saddle.We were able, therefore, to stay on our skis from the hairpin turn to about 300' below the Artist point parking lot.That added up to maybe two miles of travel and 1,000 vf See Photo #3.

That wasn't enough, so I dropped down the steep firm snow tongue to the west of the saddle and then we skied about one third of the distance of the Table Mountain trail. I guesstimate that we were on snow for 85% of the trip back to the car from the Coleman Pinnacle..not bad at all for August.
Nice tracks, Bob!  Sorry I missed you in Seattle a couple of weeks ago.  Brad and I are going out somewhere this weekend, probably Baker.  I know you're busy then, so we'll just have to keep trying.
Don

Can't seem to figure out the aspect in photo 1.

Is that the south aspect of Coleman Pinnacle?  It doesn't look like the NorthWest side.

Alan

I think that you may have Dave_R's TR confused with mine, BigSnow. We never went on the north side of the Pinnacle. I was trying for optimum resolution when I chose the sizing for Photo #1, but it is really too small to be useful. I was facing almost due west when I took the shot from a snowfield below the summer trail. As is the case on all my trip reports, I feel that the limitations on photo quantity and quality prevents a true summery of the adventure.

Thanks for the clarification!

Well it still looked like loads of fun.

I just wanted to be sure so I could assess conditions.  Still thinking of heading out there early next week.  Hoping for the best.

Alan

For those who like to see more photos, check out this TR  http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=47107

I saw all your tracks up there the day after. Way to get after it!

Reply to this TR

august-4-08-coleman-pinnacle-tour
Telemon
2008-08-05 17:39:13