Home > Trip Reports > Aug 3, 2008, Coleman Pinnacle picnic

Aug 3, 2008, Coleman Pinnacle picnic

8/3/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Dave_R on 8/4/08 12:47pm
The weather looked promising, both kids had free schedules (how often does that happen?), and Lisa & Amar's report from two weeks ago indicated that there should be plenty of snow for a good tour.

And there was.

The challenge of getting Brett up early for the drive to Baker met expectations, but as soon as we left the marine layer behind at Bellingham, we knew it was well worth it.  Sneakers made quick work of the first mile or so to the Table-Ptarmigan col and then maybe a scant quarter mile further, across the short snowfield (boots probably would have been better than the sneakers here) and a bit of scree to the continuous snow.

Staying on the north side of the ridge all the way to the base of Coleman Pinnacle had the twin benefits of travelling on continuous snow and losing the stream of hikers that followed the trail proper.  We had the company of just one other ski couple (and their turbo-charged ski pooch) once we dropped into the north CP basin.  Travel along this route is a combo of gravity, skinning, "stiction", and even a bit of booting if you are so inclined.

The amazing weather called for lots of hang time, goat watching, gawking at Baker & Shuksan, and emulating marmots.  It was getting on dinner time by the time we returned to Artist's Point, but that just gave us one more excuse to drop by Milano's on the way through Glacier - as if we needed an excuse.

Pictures: Heidi on the north side of CP; Still plenty of snow; Obligatory family picture.

-Dave R
I have been wanting to make it up there for two weeks now but life has been conspiring against it.  Your report offers much hope that it might be worth trying still.

I have done this trip often in the first week of August and I have to admit that the coverage looks better than I have ever seen at this time of year.

Alan

We hit the paradise area on sunday...skimmed across pebble creek..loved it!!! and Yes..my 11 year old climbed the route without a complaint. We left the visitors center at about 12:30 and hit the top of pebble creek at about 1:30. Good job since it looks like you were able to climb higher and grab even more snow.
Funny...everyone thinks we have lost our minds skiing in August. We love it!!

I guess we should have checked the north side of the Pinnacle yesterday. It must have been too hot for the goats where we were. But then, we didn't see any hikers either (at least until late in the day).

Reply to this TR

aug-3-2008-coleman-pinnacle-picnic
Dave_R
2008-08-04 19:47:59