Home > Forum > "Stupidly cheap" Intuition thermofit liners

"Stupidly cheap" Intuition thermofit liners

• RRandall
  • [RRandall]
More
07 Dec 2003 09:19 - 11 Dec 2003 16:03 #168683 by RRandall
Don't know if anyone's seen the thread on telemarktips about the Morrow snowboard boot liners they're selling for $5/pair at cheapsnowboards.com. I took a chance on a set of size 9 for my Scarpa T3s. The product that arrived several weeks after my order are labeled "Morrow" on the top, and down on the heel they say "Intuition, Vancouver, BC". They weigh 125g/ea, vs 482g/ea for my stock sewn T3 liners. I put them in a convection oven at 300F for about 15 minutes, put them on over a thin sock and lots of toe padding (Molefoam), then stuck them into the T3s and buckled up. I now have T3s that weight about the same as my old Asolo Snopines! Gadzooks! They thermoformed quite well, making nice deep ankle cups and whatnot. I should mention that they run about 1 to 1.5 sizes smaller than Scarpa sizes. My T3s are size 8.5 and the size 9 Morrow liners are probably 3/8" shorter than the stock sewn liners. They shrink some in thickness during thermoforming-- I think I'll be able to wear two pair of sock inside the boots comfortably even though I formed with a thin single sock.<br><br>Cheapsnowboards.com advertises their stuff as "stupidly cheap". How liners worth $130 can sell for $5 is beyond me, but they seem to be the genuine article. The Telemarktips.com thread is about 7 pages long on this subject.<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Dec 2003 15:19 #168685 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: &quot;Stupidly cheap&quot; Intuition lin
I ordered some of these and baked them for my 2000 T2's -- They fit much nicer now and boot weight dropped from 8 lbs for my pair of size 10.5 US to 6.4 lbs! <br><br>The liners aren't real tall, so while they are tall enough (barely) for T2's they aren't tall enough for T1's (rats!)

More
08 Dec 2003 02:25 #168686 by skip
Randy,<br><br>Given the info on sizing in the original post, what size liner did you order for your size 10.5 T2's? (I have the same boot)<br><br>thanks,<br>-s

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Dec 2003 04:11 #168687 by Randito
I used size 11 liners. I wear an 11US street shoe., but Scarpas seem to run a little big, paticularly for me, as my feet are slightly narrower than "average"<br><br>Once baked the liner foam is firmer than the standard liners. Better control.

More
08 Dec 2003 04:14 #168688 by skip
thanks a pile - I'm ordering now.<br>-s

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Dec 2003 06:06 #168690 by Randito
Baking instructions are contained in the "Cooking with Big Tim" video from www.telemarktips.com/DrTelemark.html

More
08 Dec 2003 07:32 #168691 by wolfs
Arg. Although the base price for this item (and some small percentage of their other stuff on the site) is low, they are overcharging for shipping.<br>For instance, going from one liner to two liners raises the shipping price from $8.50 (wha?) to $14.50 (ow!)<br>I hope these things are good.

More
09 Dec 2003 07:43 #168692 by skip
wolfs,<br><br>Something I noticed about your post: If you were thinking otherwise, these are sold in pairs, not singles (you can ignore if you knew this).<br><br>When I read your comments, it made me think I may have only bought one liner for $5, thinking it was a pair, so I double checked the website. The wording was confusing as to which was correct, so I called them for clarification; they said they indeed sold for $5 a pair. <br><br>The woman with whom I spoke added they've had a lot of calls on that point, and she was going to have the webmaster add a line in the site to clarify the matter.<br>-s

• RRandall
  • [RRandall]
More
09 Dec 2003 16:09 #168693 by RRandall
Replied by RRandall on topic Re: &quot;Stupidly cheap&quot; Intuition lin
:D I'm laughing because I actually bought two pair of size 9s, assuming they couldn't POSSIBLY cost only $5/pair. I had planned to just buy one pair.<br>

More
10 Dec 2003 04:29 - 10 Dec 2003 04:30 #168696 by wolfs
I was going to buy two PAIRS. And maybe I still should have. But paying almost 15 bucks to ship a box that's certainly no more than 1 cu.ft. or 6 lbs just seemed odious, no matter what the purported base price. I figured I could always use multiple pairs, either for experimenting with degree of bake or to use one for its claimed purpose in a snowboard boot.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
10 Dec 2003 04:58 #168697 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: &quot;Stupidly cheap&quot; Intuition lin
Darn me and my big feet! They seem to only have sizes 8, 9, and 10. Sounds like a great deal, though. You could consider the somewhat excessive shipping charges as making the deal just slightly less stupid, and with that price, why not end up with four liners - make a friend happy for Xmas?

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Dec 2003 08:54 - 10 Dec 2003 08:55 #168700 by Randito
They periodically run low on stock -- the first time I checked they only had sizes 8 and 8.5, but two days later they had the full range of sizes.  So either check back periodically or contact them inquirning when they expect to be restocked.<br><br>Yeah the shipping is ridiculous-- but even with shipping it works out to &lt;$15 per pair -- which is approimately 10% of what you'd pay walking into Marmot Mtn Works.<br><br>I ordered two pairs of size 11.  When the box arrived it only had one pair!  I called them and they actually answered the phone and said "Do'h! our bad" and sent out the second pair right away.

More
10 Dec 2003 09:45 #168702 by freshie
Replied by freshie on topic Re: &quot;Stupidly cheap&quot; Intuition lin
I can't believe anyone would complain about the shipping on this, much less think they are overcharging. A quick look at the USPS web site shows shipping a four-pound package Priority Mail from Western Michigan to Seattle costs $9.45. Enjoy your almost free liners.

• prgsmall
  • [prgsmall]
More
10 Dec 2003 10:43 #168704 by prgsmall
Replied by prgsmall on topic Re: &quot;Stupidly cheap&quot; Intuition lin
Anyone know if these would fit Garmont Veloces? Their liners have a strap attached?

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
11 Dec 2003 04:51 #168708 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: &quot;Stupidly cheap&quot; Intuition lin
Randy, thanks for the advice - I will keep checking. (You wouldn't happen to have an extra pair of 11s, would you? ;) )

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Dec 2003 09:19 #168710 by Randito
Actually I do, since the liners are too short for my TRace boots. Yours for $14 (my cost including shipping)<br><br>FWIW it looks like cheapsnowboards.com has restocked -- but they've bumped the price up to a whopping $10 (shipping for 1 pair is still $9 though)<br><br>Send me an email if you want them.

More
11 Dec 2003 11:08 #168712 by wolfs
OK fine I have realized the error of my ways, five dollars too late. Seems like there's nary a dissenter on the various threads that these liners are decidedly worth something in the range of 15 to 150 bucks. So no more wingeing about shipping costs from me. Strangely, the up in base price to ten dollars makes me feel better about buying more despite not yet receiving the first pair. Plus, for five extra dollars, cheapsnowboards has acknowledged in writing that putting them in the oven might not be such a bad idea after all ;D <br>I guess I'm just a paranoid online outdoor gear consumer, I've been burned on mail order before when something that seems absurdly priced /closeout finally arrives, and you realize they put the price point at the point where they figure it's not worth your effort to return them, which then de facto becomes what they're worth.

More
22 Dec 2003 08:16 #168732 by BrentH
I would like to know if these liners are tall enough for Dynafit TLT or Scarpa Laser AT boots. Can someone give me the height of a size 10 liner after it has been heat treated? Thanks.

• RRandall
  • [RRandall]
More
23 Dec 2003 09:24 #168737 by RRandall
Brent -- Size 9 is 240mm tall at the back after heat treat, (9 3/8 inches)

More
23 Jan 2004 16:56 #168819 by TonyM
Update- The price is now 20.00 + 8.95 for shipping. They had an assortment of sizes ranging from 7.5 to 10 or so as of Jan 22, 2004. Just bought a pair of 9.0's and hoping for the best!