Home > Trip Reports > July 27, 2008, Paradise - MadDog Streak Saver Tour

July 27, 2008, Paradise - MadDog Streak Saver Tour

7/27/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 7/28/08 12:56pm
Last weekend's tour to Birthday Bowl (on 7/20) with the whole gang made us realize that we had perfected a close in tour to facilitate the MadDog's preservation of her streak in spite of her breaking her leg on her last time on snow touring on June 1st at Chinook Pass.

Despite the foggy, drizzly weather we managed to skin with just a couple of (trail facilitated) portages direct to the main downhill lines of the top of Birthday Bowl in about 45 minutes from the car.  The snow coverage had held up surprisingly well from the prior weekend, however the suncups seemed a bit bigger and were certainly firmer without the sun beating down on them. 

A couple of runs and a party later we were sufficiently chilled to seek lower ground and Mexican cuisine.

Way to pull it out, MadDog!!
Yeahhhhhh Mad-dog. Congratulations. Yuz my hero GiRL!!!!!

good one. You're braver than us. We drove to Mowich Lake yesterday but didn't even get out of the car. Just sat there and drank a couple morning beers, while watching the steady drizzle. Amazing amount of snow around the lake for this time of year.

I was just asking Scotsman about you today wondering the status of the leg. He said that you were in a cast on Saturday?? Is there more to this story than I am privy to know?
I see two boots in the picture, do you have a Dr who works Saturday evenings?
At any rate good job, you know it's just a number?  ;D
Cheers to your improved health!
Joe

Cheers to Jeaneatte! I bet you really missed the mtns after such a long stay away. I hope all those books, movies, and quality time didn't turn your brain to mush, I find the mountains do wonders for that. I did enjoy your inventiveness while away though- the ski chair thingie was classic!

Welcome back.

Chris

And to think that I thought you were faking because you were tired of skiing with Ron.   ;D

Welcome to the active roster Jeanette and thanks for being a hero to Scotty.  He needs a good role model.

Jeanette,   After watching Jill recover from a few accidents,  I know how determined a "woman with a mission" can be.  We are pleased to see that you are mobile again.   ;)

Nice to see you on snow again.

Mad Dog:  good job.  Do you feel it strained your leg?  How does the leg feel, and are you wearing any braces or reinforcements for your knee?

Decades ago I smashed my ankle pretty badly rock climbing.  I went climbing 5 times (toprope only  ::) ) with the cast on, and people thought I was nuts.  My wife warned me that if I reinjured myself she would stop waiting on me!

Yeeeaaahhhhh - this is great news!  Congratulations Jeanette, good to know we've got our MadDog back out tearing it up on the snow!  :)  

Congratulations, Jeanette!!!  Ron told me that you were going to streak, not continue your streak.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=10734.msg43791#msg43791 date=1217305675]
I was just asking Scotsman about you today wondering the status of the leg. He said that you were in a cast on Saturday?? Is there more to this story than I am privy to know?
I see two boots in the picture, do you have a Dr who works Saturday evenings?
At any rate good job, you know it's just a number?  ;D
Cheers to your improved health!
Joe

The Saturday that Scotty was talking about was on the 19th, I was in a soft boot "cast" then.  I only had a hard cast on the first 10 days of June and then claustrophobic anxieties :'( took their toll and I had the hard cast removed and the soft boot put on.  I also have been doing rehab for some time and am continuing with that 3 days a week, plus daily homework. 

Thanks to the help and encouragement from my friends, it felt GREAT to be back on the snow.  Since everything higher than the sole of a ski boot looks like an elevator shaft and is way to scary right now I stuck only to the bunny slope :D. 

Well done, it is good to see your streak survived injury!

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=10734.msg43808#msg43808 date=1217363202]
Thanks to the help and encouragement from my friends, it felt GREAT to be back on the snow.  Since everything higher than the sole of a ski boot looks like an elevator shaft and is way to scary right now I stuck only to the bunny slope :D. 

The important thing is to get back out there.  Good for you for doing it!  This coming weekend is the first the doc will allow me back out, and I'm looking for a relatively easy ski trip out.  I might be pinging you for more information on where you went if you think the snow will hold out another week.

It was truly good to have you back, Jeanette. You are a real trooper. No sun, but your sunny smile lit up the hill and it was good to see you enjoying yourself again. Thanks, Ron, for a fun tour, as always, and the Mexican party. Onwards and upwards!

Congratulations, Jeanette!

Congrats, very impressive!
(I mean, not a good thing to break a leg, but if you're going to break a leg, what amazing timing to do it on the first of the month while skiing, then recover so quickly to sneak in a ski day at the end of the next month -- wow!)

Reply to this TR

july-27-2008-paradise-maddog-streak-saver-tour
ron j
2008-07-28 19:56:35