Home > Trip Reports > July 25, 2008, - Snowdome + Langille Bowls, Mt Hood

July 25, 2008, - Snowdome + Langille Bowls, Mt Hood

7/25/08
OR Mt Hood
Posted by stoudema on 7/27/08 12:24pm
Loofus and I met up with Buell on Thursday night at Cloud Cap TH with hopes of hitting the Snowdome the following day.  We broke camp and hit the trail about 5:15am, heading up the main ridge below the Elliot Glacier.  Having not been on the north side of Hood for 2 years, we were suprised to see how washed out the canyon was.  We crossed the Elliot around 7500 feet or so, skirting some crevasses and seracs.  There were several ski tracks on both sides of the Elliot from the few previous days.

After a few more hours, we topped out around 9300 feet at the top of the dome, with me wishing I had brought the solid deck instead of the splitboard.  Loofus skinned the whole stinking dome, more out of stubborness than anything else.  Yes, we did see Dan's tracks from 10 days prior up on the Sunshine route.  Dan, you rock!

Buell on the ascent...........

The ride down the dome was sub-par - the snow conditions were kind of like natural moguls - very bumpy.  We ended up heading down the Langille Bowls, knowing we were making quite a commitment by doing so, due to the canyon being washed out (but not knowing just how much of a commitment it really was).  The snow in the bowls did not dissapoint.

Looking down the westernly Langille Bowl........

We were able to ski to the Timberline trail, with only one portage just below the Snowdome.  The snow was excellent in the bowls.  Interstingly, there seemed to be more snow down low (around 6000 feet) than 2 years ago, but less snow up higher.

The last pitch just before the Timberline trail.........

After some water and snacks, we headed east along the trail.  When we reached the spot where the trail was closed at the Elliot crossing, it was back up the ridge.  And back up the ridge.  And back up the ridge.  Finally, we found a suitable crossing near where we crossed earlier in the morning.  I ended up running out of water on the ridge (drinking 3 liters) and it was hot.  Fortunately, we had running water at the Elliot.  We ended up back at the trail head around 3:30, making for a longer day than intended, with some 5500 feet of vertical gained, with about 3000 feet skiied.  Not bad for late July!  With the trail washed out, the Langille is not seeing much skier traffic.  I think we hit it just about right.  It will probably be good through next weekend, but the snow is going incredibly fast. 

Buell - thanks for the company and for waiting for us.  It was fun riding with you.
Hey stoudema, thanks for letting me tag along.  It was a great to explore the north side of Hood with you guys.

Here is a photo of stoudema on the Langille with the Coe glacier in the background and another, just out of the trees on the trek back up the west ridge to where we could cross back over to the trail back to Cloud Cap.

Nice work guys!  I think I saw you coming down through my binocs and wondered where you went when you went out of sight.  I was camped in the Chev PU.  I think we saw you pull in Thursday night. 

I was limited to armchair tracks- was back at work by 1:00- but hope to pay my dues this week.  It is nice to know what to expect.  I wish I had the ambition to do the lower part again- since the washout.  I was asking a bud about the best trail down for a car shuttle, but if the trail is anything like the road, there will be some tree-whackin'.  I wish there was a report on that one...

I heard someone got killed by a rock on Cooper Spur and they are trying to get him off today.  I don't think I would have been on that this time of year.

I heard about the guy this morning, that's no good :'(

If you saw us with the binocs, it was probably pretty ugly, as the snowdome was nice and cupped.  The turns were much smoother down low, as you can see in the pictures.  I think we saw you pull in in the Chevy Thursday night.  We hiked up to the buildings and took pictures of the flowers, but didn't see you (I don't think we went far enough).  Anyway, what a beautiful place........

Nice work guys.  I plan on hitting it Wednesday, hopefully.  Park indicated a somewhat committing washout crossing was possible close to where the timberline trail used to cross.  He recommended some shoes for the crossing.  I saw the washout last year and know how knarly it is.  Anyway, if find a way across I'll be sure to post.  Sorry I could not link up with you.  Take care.

Reply to this TR

july-25-2008-snowdome-langille-bowls-mt-hood
stoudema
2008-07-27 19:24:27