Home > Trip Reports > Observation Peak_july 24_25, 2008_Taking the pigs for a walk

Observation Peak_july 24_25, 2008_Taking the pigs for a walk

7/15/08
Posted by Keith_Henson on 7/25/08 11:34pm
On July 24, Joe Bell and I put the pigs on our backs an headed up to the 7,600 foot camp under Observation Peak via Knapsack Pass. At the pass we climbed a bit, donned skies and headed down the south face next to First Mother and ski traversed as far as possible before climbing the ridge that leads to Spray Park.

After reaching camp we headed on up and in 1 hour and 10 minutes we were standing on the top of Observation Peak. Joe decided to descend the ridge and jump on the headwall. I demurred as I just didn't feel I had it in me to carry back from the Flett to camp. So I skied the climbing route--which was fantastic--back to the tent. Smooth snow, deep corn. From from camp I heard Joe yell from the top of the headwall and shot pics of him heading down.

On Friday, July 25, Joe headed up toward the Russell Glacier while I nursed my body and saved it for the slog down which, because of the snow cover,  I knew would be lots of carrying instead of skiing. So I kept vigil (They also serve who only stand and wait) for Joe.

After a few hours I heard Joe "yodel" from the top of the Flett Headwall as he started down.

At 2 PM we left camp and headed down in intermittent fog and clouds and skied to Spray Park with about 5 carries. From the top  of the ridge above Spray we put our boards back on and  jumped onto the slopes of Mt. Pleasant toward Knapsack. As we were so close I encouraged Joe to climb Pleasant and touch the summit and ski down which he did. We met at Knapsack and carried our skies down to the car.

Pictures can be found here and here.

Also, if anybody in the party of 3 on the Flett glacier yesterday around noon reads this contact me as I have some great pics of your group.
Nice, looks like the headwall is holding up really well still!

author=Stugie link=topic=10723.msg43734#msg43734 date=1217099166">
Nice, looks like the headwall is holding up really well still!

It sure is.  So nice I had to ski it twice.  Much of the skiing above Spray Park is in good shape.  Nothing not easily avoided in terms of crevasse danger.  Bugs and falling rock seem to be the things to watch out for.

I have many pictures here for anyone curios about the conditions up there.  Please excuse that there are too many random pics as I am trying to get into the habit of (1) carrying a camera and (2) using it.

It occurred to me over and over during this trip that if the road to Mowich had been opened sooner this season, we could have traveled on snow and avoided many of the portages that are now required.  I did my best to keep the trail and to step only on rocks while off of it, but earlier access would surely have reduced my "footprint".

I am glad to see that you are packing and using a camera, Joe. Maybe the next time that we ski together you'll have some pictures of me. :)

Very nice work gentlemen- surely looks like an amazing place to hike/ ski. I definitely have that place on my list now and will be sure to get it a bit earlier next year with Joe leading the way, I am sure.

Chris

Way to Oink out a couple days. :D
That is a good walk for sure.

author=skierlyles link=topic=10723.msg43779#msg43779 date=1217266637]
Very nice work gentlemen- surely looks like an amazing place to cuddle. I definitely have that on my list now and will be sure to get it next year with Joe, I am sure.

Chris

You got it buddy.

author=Telemon link=topic=10723.msg43778#msg43778 date=1217266096]
I am glad to see that you are packing and using a camera, Joe. Maybe the next time that we ski together you'll have some pictures of me. :)

You got it Bob.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=10723.msg43783#msg43783 date=1217272477]
Way to Oink out a couple days. :D

next time I will sty longer?

author=Snow Bell link=topic=10723.msg43797#msg43797 date=1217310980]
You got it buddy, I love cuddling with men.

You got it Bob.

next time I will sty longer?

Funny Joe.

Reply to this TR

observation-peak-july-24-25-2008-taking-the-pigs-for-a-walk
Keith_Henson
2008-07-26 06:34:30