Home > Trip Reports > July 20, 2008, Coleman Pinnacle

July 20, 2008, Coleman Pinnacle

7/20/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Lisa on 7/21/08 3:55pm
Amar, Victor and I gathered at the Artist Point parking lot to check out Coleman Pinnacle and Sholes Glacier. 
Amar had hoped with the immense snow fall at Baker over the winter that we might be able to enjoy a continuous skin from the car.  We were not as fortunate since the flanks of Table Mountain had largely melted so a short bit of walking ensued.

From the first saddle after a mile or so, we were able to skin the traverse and made our way to another saddle where we stopped to have a snack and assess the route.
One can drop to the south or, the north from here to make way toward Coleman Pinnacle around Ptarmigan Ridge.
We discussed the options and Amar noted the least gain and drop would be on the south, but I opted to drop and gain on the north side where chances of snowmelt and walking might not exist and quite simply I wanted to make some turns. Victor just wanted to go up as usual.

We began our traverse north around the ridge and at one point there was an opportunity to link some turns.  I took off my skins and bounced along the sun cups for a few turns then made my way to a knoll where I could return my skins to the bases. 
Off in the distance I noticed a herd of goat assembled on a steep slope of snow while others perched above them on a ridge faintly discernable against the lustrous blue sky. 
As we neared, our voices carried and appeared to have startled the goats.  Quickly they descended to a rock outcropping where they gathered to watch us.
No sooner my dog caught wind of the goats and began running up the slope toward them although still very far away.  I called for her as did Victor.  She had succumb to selective hearing and pressed on, until realizing the jaunt was too far she returned to us again.

We continued climbing and gathered to rest beyond Coleman Pinnacle at a saddle beset with resplendent views of the looming glaciers beyond. 
While eating lunch we discussed our options of skiing laps or, further traversing.  At this point my dog was quite tired having traveled 4.7 miles already and I was concerned she still had to make it back to the car and the idea of more distance for her would not be fair.
I opted to wait while Amar and Victor continued toward Sholes glacier.  Shasta tried to follow them until Amar told her to go back as I hiked away from our spot to coax her and she returned. 

In lush alpine grass I enjoyed rest and solitude while a soft breeze soothed the blazing rays of sun and a lone Hummingbird sought pollen in the sparse Lupin. 
Trickles of snow melt gathered in small pools while Robins shared their song adding melody to my vistas. 
I took some photos and did some writing, then hiked up the ridge to where we had seen the goats, finding numerous clumps of goat hair along the way. 

Two and a half hours later they returned and I was more than ready to make some turns before the tedious traverse back to the car.  Instead of staying high on our return route we enjoyed linking turns before traversing and enjoying more turns before ascending.  Once at the car we slipped into some fresh cotton before heading to Maple Falls for some beef and brews. 
your dog is absolutely beautiful!

thanks for a great tr.

author=Lisa link=topic=10698.msg43554#msg43554 date=1216709723]

In lush alpine grass I enjoyed rest and solitude while a soft breeze soothed the blazing rays of sun and a lone Hummingbird sought pollen in the sparse Lupin. 

now that's my kind of skiing! This time of year I find the urge to relax and enjoy overpowering my drive to get turns.

Nice TR!  How were the suncups? What did you find were the best aspects for turns?  What a great spot that is!

We only skied north and NE aspects, other than traversing across the south side of Table Mtn. As is typical for late July, everything is quite suncupped, and also runneled in a few areas, but it's decent (even nice) for skiing once sufficiently softened. We skied down well after 3pm. The suncups are generally 4-12" in diameter and depth right now.

Lisa skiing the slope north of Coleman Pinnacle.

It's definitely a very beautiful area, but every time I go out there I'm reminded just how much lengthy traversing (up, down, horizontal, skins, no skins, etc.) is needed in order to get there and back. It's much longer and farther in practice than it appears to be on the map or by the numbers. A nice tour for soaking in the sun and scenery or yo-yoing short runs off to the sides of the traverse route, but not the place for big-time turns unless you can make it most of the way up the Park Glacier, say 9000+ ft. We were hoping to make it past Glacier Saddle up onto the Park, but it was getting too late. We carried a rope and glacier gear, but never used it.

Victor skiing the upper Sholes Glacier, with Coleman Pinnacle below at left and Mt Shuksan in the distance.

Panorama of Victor skiing the steep face of the Sholes Glacier, with Mt Baker and Park Glacier beyond.

From its 6940 ft summit, the Sholes Glacier offers about 1500 vertical ft right now down into Sholes Creek drainage, with only a few open crevasses on the steep roll. The Rainbow Glacier also looked good, probably skiable down to about 5000 ft with few crevasses and several areas of bare glacier ice showing. The Park Glacier looks fairly crevassed, worse than typical for late July.

View of the Park and Mazama Glaciers from the top of Sholes Glacier, with Rainbow Glacier at lower left.

View looking down the Rainbow Glacier.

Way to look after your dog, Lisa- she's pretty frickin' cute!

author=md2020 link=topic=10698.msg43566#msg43566 date=1216739462]
now that's my kind of skiing! This time of year I find the urge to relax and enjoy overpowering my drive to get turns.

Yes, I most agree, the only thing I was missing was one of Ronj's margaritas.

More photos can be found here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/victormesny/ColemanPinnacle

Reply to this TR

july-20-2008-coleman-pinnacle
Lisa
2008-07-21 22:55:23