Home > Trip Reports > July 19-20, 2008. MRNP Russell and Flett glaciers

July 19-20, 2008. MRNP Russell and Flett glaciers

7/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snowdawg on 7/21/08 2:03pm
Merk, Snowdawgjr and I, drove up in overcast conditions, only to arrive at Mowich Lake to sunny skies. Ran into TAYer Keith Henson, while we were packing up in the parking lot, whom we hiked up to Knapsack Pass with. Keith went off to ski the chutes in and around Knapsack Pass while we set off for Observation. Set up camp on the Flett, rested and ate, then lapped the Flett until sunset. After dinner, while Merk and I were enjoying a cigar and some spirits, Snowdawgjr did laps on the lower Flett, in the waning daylight. The moon rose above Echo at about 11:30 that night, and Snowdawgjr took the opportunity to take an icy run in the moonlight. Took a ton of pictures and then called it a night.

Got a little bit of a late start, due to staying up late the night before, and then skinned up the Flett, crossed over to the Russell, then skinned up it to about 9,000'. The Russell was in good shape with us only having to cross a small crevasse. After snapping some pictures, we slapped on the snowboards (and skis for Merk) and made some nice turns down the Russell, where we encountered perfect summer corn snow. We crossed over to the Flett, ran into TAYer Glenn B (?), and made our way back down to camp.

We packed up our gear, and linked the snowfields all the way down to Spray Park (with only one major carry). Ran into another TAYer in Spray Park, who skied the Flett Headwall, then we hiked back to the parking lot on The Wonderland Trail, making the trip a nice loop. Drove back home, stopped and got the most delicious ice cream ever, and then came home to a huge dinner, and a good night sleep.

Pic #1- Snowdawgjr on Flett
Pic #2- Sunset pic of Merk on Flett
Pic #3- Me crossing crevasse on upper Russell
Wish i could put more pictures on because i have a ton of really good ones, including great ones of Keith
Nice to meet you guys if only briefly (around 3 on Sunday headed down).  Sounds like a great tour and nice loop... nice photo's too!

Thanks for the tr and conditions!  Sounds like a good trip!

Snowdawg et al., it was nice to meet you Sunday on your way down.  It was great to scope your evening turns from my bivy below Knapsack Pass.  I didn't get much farther from where we met, stepping onto the Russell only to ice the beer.  Stopped on the way back to admire the ice floes in Cat Eye Lake.  Maybe we'll see you here again next year.   

Looks like I missed a good one...again.

Nice post Snowdawg.  You summed it up nicely.  It was certainly an awesome trip!  I'd have to say that was one of the greatest sunsets I'd ever seen, followed with the bonus of that insane moonrise (WOW!), and not to forget that wonderful Cocoa/Bourbon concoction.  Best July turns for me so far.  Here's a few more pics...

Thanks for the TR and fantastic pix, both of you. Sounds like you hit the timing perfect. One of my favorite ski runs ever was up there 9 years ago.

Reply to this TR

july-19-20-2008-mrnp-russell-and-flett-glaciers
snowdawg
2008-07-21 21:03:34