Home > Trip Reports > Last Laps on Lassen - Yes and No

Last Laps on Lassen - Yes and No

7/15/08
US elsewhere
Posted by skimtner on 7/21/08 9:37am

Well it was another interesting day on and around the mtn. To start off driving to the devastated area to check the chutes, I was able to catch a photo of  the full-moon setting. I then saw a 'classic'  CA golden bear.  It basically scurried away. The Natl Park wants to know about sightings, I guess a study will be done 2010.
      Headed up, and got to the chutes around 10. I saw that a chute which was formed due to a dwindling snowpack was decent. I skiied that and had a good run - it was more technical type skiin' due to the snow was 3/4 " inch of corn. Where I stopped, I surveyed the snow and figured this area was done for the year. Last week the snow was 4" of slush and this week 3/4 " deep.
      I did  have another option down on the lower mountain. I made it there @ 2pm.  I checked the snow and run and it looked good. It had 3" wave-like forms (undulations) which go across the whole slope in a unifom pattern. This was good. and it had its own little snow-tarn which gave it some added color. I took a couple laps, and figured I'll come back next wk.
The slope aspect was NE, vert - 400', steepness - 35-20 degrees yeilding 25 turns.    The added bonus was the traversing across the lower angle slopes to find the numerous wildflowers of a volcano !

Reply to this TR

last-laps-on-lassen-yes-and-no
skimtner
2008-07-21 16:37:09