Home > Trip Reports > 7-19-08 Blueberry Chutes - 2500 vrt the easy way

7-19-08 Blueberry Chutes - 2500 vrt the easy way

7/19/08
Posted by jpslagle on 7/21/08 12:34am
This probably doesn't really belong here amongst the epic trip reports, but if you are in need of some cheap and easy July turns, head up to Artist Point.  We took four laps, for a total of 2500 vert of car assisted July turns.  By the end of our fourth lap, the suncups where practically groomed out.  This would make an easy after work trip from Bellingham and if you get it in the next couple of days, it should still be groomed.

There is surprisingly good coverage in Bagley Basin and there are still a couple of chutes with decent snow.  The chute we accessed is off the right hand side of the road in the gravel staging lot about 300 yards before the paved Artist Point parking lot.  After skiing the chute there is a quick four-five minute hike out and you are back at the bottom lot waiting to be picked up for another lap.  Should last until at least next weekend. 

A quick note€¦€¦.Unlike winter up at baker, summer day hikers and gawkers don€™t seem to be that big on picking up hitch hikers.  We lapped some boarders three times before they were able to get rides (we had a full car).  So plan ahead and convince/bribe someone to be your driver.  Special thanks to my buddy Jason's wife Krista for shuttling us up and down the mountain.  :) 
Great tactics!  Doesn't the car use put this TR in lift-skiing?  ;)

car-served terrain!

i love my wife! she even scrounged up a beer from some strangers for our enjoyment after the fourth and final lap.

author=jpslagle link=topic=10690.msg43489#msg43489 date=1216654473]
A quick note…….Unlike winter up at baker, summer day hikers and gawkers don’t seem to be that big on picking up hitch hikers.  We lapped some boarders three times before they were able to get rides (we had a full car).   So plan ahead and convince/bribe someone to be your driver.  Special thanks to my buddy Jason's wife Krista for shuttling us up and down the mountain.  :)   

I learned this the hard way last July.  I waited over an hour hitchin from Glacier to get a ride up and didnt get up to Artists point until 6:30 pm.  On the way down I was only able to get a ride down to one of the camping areas just before the DOT garage,  30 something cars passed me as it was getting dark before someone was kind enough to get me back to glacier.

Reply to this TR

7-19-08-blueberry-chutes-2500-vrt-the-easy-way
jpslagle
2008-07-21 07:34:33