Home > Trip Reports > 7/20/08, Mt. Baker, Coleman-Deming

7/20/08, Mt. Baker, Coleman-Deming

7/20/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by danhelmstadter on 7/20/08 3:51pm
A few too many beers last night left my throat dry as I woke to alarm. Late night beer induced plans often fall through in the morning, but I made effort to get the gears going.
After stocking up on food and coffee in Glacier, I headed up to the Heliotrope Parking area (3700') and left around 11 am. I passed the trail crew somewhere high in the forest, and they had already cleared a substantial amount of the downfall. I donned the boots and crampons somewhere around 5k. The boot pack was superfat, but I made a few short cuts feeling cocky from yesterdays glacier travel. There were a lot of people up there, It was great to bump into Oyvind Henningsen, and Josh. They were on their way down and had connected a few of the steeper climbing routes on the mountain. Once at the col, the climber traffic stopped, and I did not see any more climbers in-route the rest of the day.
The Roman-Wall looked beautiful, and indeed it was. Good booting condition, corn over a ice crust to corn over corn. 
I was the only one on the summit, it was a little breezy but not too bad, great cloudless views in every direction but especially of the San Juan Islands.
I skied the Roman Wall without stopping on excellent snow. A small walk over the cleaver then more excellent turns down to the Coleman. Most of the mega cracks I saw last August were totally filled in. However there was some serac debris, and runnels to make the ski down the Coleman less than ideal. Heliotrope Ridge had no runnels and only very minor suncups, which made for some soothing turns.
More tree clearing by the trailcrew (thanks!) made the trail descent very nice, and I made it back to the camper and dog around 6:30.

*** I found a white Black Diamond Half-Dome helmet, with a purple visor, and a attached headlamp on the upper Coleman. Would love to get it back to its owner! ***

Nice job both days, Dan.  It was a nice weekend on a fine mountain.

It was good to meet you on the mountain, Dan. To say the least, your line down the NR was impressive.

Josh

By my figuring, Dan climbed Baker twice entirely within the time required for us to do it once, by harder routes, with enough time left over for a third dash up to the summit had the mood struck him.

Thanks for the really cool TRs and photos.

all right, dan from vulcan, getting raw with the gueule de bois

I am assuming I also bumped into Dan. He blew past us just before the snow starts on the ridge, and we started at 9ish. Unless there was another guy running up Baker all giddy from riding the NR the day before.  My pleasure Dan.

Reply to this TR

7-20-08-mt-baker-coleman-deming
danhelmstadter
2008-07-20 22:51:11