Home > Trip Reports > 7/20/08, Nisqually Chute, Mt. Rainier

7/20/08, Nisqually Chute, Mt. Rainier

7/20/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/20/08 1:15pm
Zach and I wanted to ski this line before it was gone, and I think we got there at the very last minute.  We skinned from the visitor center, carried from Pan Point to a bit past Pebble Creek, and skinned to the top of the chute.  The entrance to the chute from above is melted out, but you can reach it with a short scramble across a scree ridge.  The main chute is mighty thin and splits into two fingers about 200 feet down.  We took the finger on skier's left (looked better from down below) and it was barely passable.  A couple of choke points 6-8 feet wide that may be melted out in a day.  Once through the thin part, it was still possible to ski out the valley, make a gentle climb up to Glacier Vista, and ski all the way back to the visitor center. 

A skier we met on the way up said he'd been told by a park volunteer that all skinning up or skiing down was prohibited below Pebble Creek.  What's with that?  (We acted like we hadn't heard it).

A few photos:
1) The route from the bridge
2) Zach clicking in at the top (after scrambling across some scree)
3) Zach looking back up from the flats
Saw those tracks this afternoon from Alta Vista
Must have been yours as I took this around noon or so.

Way to get the last dregs with your son, Greg.
Well done.

Thanks, Ron.  This line is sort of a Fathers' day tradition for us, but we had to give up on it that weekend of many slides in mid-June.

I think those tracks are from a day or two ago, but we added ours around 1:30.  If those skinny fingers melt out, it might be possible to scramble across to the wider pitch on lookers left and get down that way.  Interesting how the top is melting out while the exit route at the bottom still has great coverage.  Maybe it's part of this year's pattern of heavy snowpack at low elevation and normal snowpack up higher (so Sunrise chutes were melted out by the time the road was open).

Greg, how come you've turned into such a rebel with the NPS. First it was for building kickers at Chinook Pass and now skinning up to Pebble Creek.! They're onto you Greg. ;) ;D

I know, I know.  In my city life, I'm a mild mannered 50 year old who drives the speed limit and goes to bed by 9:30 PM.  But out in the "park", I'm transformed into some kicker-building, pond-skimming rebel.  Actually, I don't leave the air on those kickers.  I'm just part of the construction crew.  But I do like that pond skimming.  I guess skiing with 15 year olds will get you to try a few new things.

Actually, my son's not too wild a type.  He's a lot more interested in skiing the National Park than the terrain park.

Reply to this TR

7-20-08-nisqually-chute-mt-rainier
GregSimon
2008-07-20 20:15:03