Home > Trip Reports > 2008-7-15 Mt Ruth

2008-7-15 Mt Ruth

7/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Garth_Ferber on 7/17/08 7:27am
My newbie friend Doug and I had a great day trip to Mt Ruth. Road was no problem for my Legacy, just had to go slow in a couple spots. Spent the previous evening at a pleasant camp at the trail head. Used running shoes to Hannegan Pass, booted the short slope on the hump above, also a bare section around the east side of the hump. Great weather and snow conditions. Tried a "short cut" around the west side of the hump to Hannegan Camp on the way back which was a bit ugly and probably did not save us any time. Saw a couple mosquitoes when we stopped on the way down at Hannegan Camp.
It's nice how well Ruth holds onto snow in the summer, eh?
Ah yes, the classic and deceptive "fools' shortcut." It got me too, on my first time out there.

Nice work!
I also eyed that West side... hard not to ;)
I also humped to Hannegan Pass, but I was there a couple weeks ago and learned that instead of heading up to Hannegan Pass, dropping down into the small col, then heading up the hill toward the hump its just easier to go into the Hannegan camp turnoff before going up to Hannegan through the trees - from there you have continuous uphill and snow to the NW side of the hump(at least then it was)... and then traverse the N side and take the East side of the hump.
On the way down I kept to the East side of the hump, traversed over to the NW side of it and had a continuous ski all the way down to the camp/trail. No skis removed! I am guessing the East side is probably more bare now though.

Cool little mountain, that Ruth. :)

Reply to this TR

2008-7-15-mt-ruth
Garth_Ferber
2008-07-17 14:27:00