Home > Trip Reports > July 15. 2008, Interglacier

July 15. 2008, Interglacier

7/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by telemack on 7/15/08 1:15pm
    Joe Bell and I continued our campaign of doing good tours 3-4 weeks late. 
    We camped at White River after a late arrival.  The flood-damage route takes minimal effort compared to some trails this year. We started skinning just over 6000' at the river; saw some tracks on the Ruth remnants, but that's played unless you climb them from below. 
    Quite breezy low, then warmer and warmer.  The standard ski ascent was easy with ski crampons; only a few open crevasses easily dodged.  We left the skis a few feet beow the top when the snow got wavy, then loafed, baked and gawked atop Steamboat Prow. 
    The ride started with big mushy "run-cups", then gradually improved.  The steep bit near the bottom gave us much creamy goodness.  No other skiers on that side of the mountain.  My first time up there in 12 years, and nice cool temps. for this time of summer.
With luck Snowbell can throw in some photos.
At least you got it, better late than never. And yes, it was quite good several weeks ago.

Chris

author=telemack link=topic=10664.msg43354#msg43354 date=1216181731">
With luck Snowbell can throw in some photos.

...luck and time.  Here are the pictures from the day.  I'm sorry not to have edited or captioned them.  It is past my bed time.

This tour is still in good shape.  Constant snow above Glacier Basin.  Minor crevasse hazard.  Over a foot relief in many of the runnels up high on the Interglacier.  It's o.k. though, they build charactor.

:D Thanks for posting the gallery of photos, Joe.  Great shots!!
Lisa

Reply to this TR

july-15-2008-interglacier
telemack
2008-07-15 20:15:31