Home > Trip Reports > 07-14-08 Zig Zag, Mt. Hood

07-14-08 Zig Zag, Mt. Hood

7/14/08
OR Mt Hood
Posted by blackdog102395 on 7/15/08 2:50am
Started out of the Timberline parking lot at the leisurely hour of 9 AM under clear skies and light winds.  Skinned up to 9500 feet following the traditional route east of the ski area.  Climbed up the moraine to a bivouac site, took off the boots  and had some lunch.  A climber descending stopped to talk and  told me he endured 40 mph winds earlier that morning (score one for the leisurely start) .  With all the sunshine and lack of wind, I was not exactly motivated to throw the boots back on and begin  booting up.  However, I eventually was inspired by two skiers desending  from the Hogsback and ripping down White River Glacier.  Threw the skis on the pack and booted up to 10000 feet just under Crater Rock where significant rock fall helped me make the decision to descend.

The first turn started off inauspiciously when my right ski punched through the mashed potatoes and  ejected, hurling me 20 feet down the mountain.  Of course this is the one day in the past 5 years that I decide wearing a short sleeve shirt would be a really good idea.  After all I thought,  "It's impossible to fall on such a beautiful day."

After cleaning up my bloodied forearm and collecting my ski, things went much more smoothly (literally).  Skied smooth, clean snow (no sun cups or runnels) until I ran out of decent vertical at about 7500 feet.  I  then skinned back up an over to Palmer.  I even caught a few nice "hero bumps" on the way back down to Timberline.  There is still a healthy snow pack and the skiing should be good for some time.

Nice one! I was up there this morning and it must have been your tracks that I saw on the upper White R Glacier (couldn't see the blood stain, though)

Zigzag Glacier seems like it will be good skiing for at least a while longer - almost full coverage below crater rock, and even though the snow didn't appear to freeze overnight, it was in great condition to ski down.  Lots of rockfall up around the crater area in the late morning today.  All of the climbing parties that I saw were skipping the pearly gates route, which has melted out in the upper part, and instead were heading up the snow face to climbers left.

Nice photos.  I was up there last weekend as well and had a great time.  I believe one of those tracks going from halfway down the hogsback is mine.  Was having some boot pain so I turned around there but had a really fun ski down the WR.  There was already one track down so I just followed it down to the top of Palmer on some really great snow.  Just great corn, even at 3:30 pm. 

That upper white river part sure looks nice.  It looked like one would have to boot it back up to Palmer, but maybe there is some way to ski out of it before getting to the crevasses?

As of a few days ago it was still passable through the crevasses right to the far end of Palmer snowfield by winding around a few and using a couple of snowbridges.

That same day, we rode the lifts a bit, then I skinned up to Hogsback while my brother Ben and my friend Jeff skinned up to Illumination Saddle.  I skied over to join them, then we skied down Zigzag to where the terrain gets more complex, then skinned back up to a point where we could easily traverse back over to the Palmer.
I think the skiers you referred to might have been us, although I saw at least two other skiers up there also.
Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/July14HogsbackZigzag

Here are some more pics from two days prior:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/July12HogsbackZigzag
(Basically the same thing, but hey, more pics!)

Reply to this TR

07-14-08-zig-zag-mt-hood
blackdog102395
2008-07-15 09:50:25