Home > Trip Reports > 7/12/08 Mount Watson

7/12/08 Mount Watson

7/12/08
Posted by Jakes_thread on 7/14/08 1:27am
Snowboarded the small glacier on the northwest side of Mount Watson (summit to lake level ~1800 ft of vertical).  The trailhead is snow free, as is the south facing climb up over the small pass into the Watson Lakes basin.  All else is still under 2-3 feet of snow.  I traversed to the north end of the northerly Watson Lake, and went SW towards the south summit.  Evidence of a recently collapsed cornice near the top, but other than that it was just moderately sun-cupped snow, a little on the slushy side, with the warm temps. Beautiful area and worth the short (~3mi) hike in.  I will try to post some pictures as well.
Bugs??  Did you drive to the TH?  FS reports road not open last mile and 1/2.  Thanks.

No, bugs except at the trailhead, which you could drive to easily, (the USFS at least up here in the baker lake area is usually about a week behind on assessing snow conditions on the roads, even if the date on the website is listed as current).

We chatted with you on your exit while we were entering en route to Bacon-to-Blum traverse (on foot).  Cool area.  I'll take skis there sometime.  The snow looked pretty good.

Reply to this TR

7-12-08-mount-watson
Jakes_thread
2008-07-14 08:27:02