Home > Trip Reports > 2008-7-12 Ruth Mtn

2008-7-12 Ruth Mtn

7/12/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by powscraper on 7/13/08 5:38am
Went up the summer route and skied down the same way, all on skis except for a 10 meter carry over some rocks; skiable snow stopped right at the trail turnoff to the Hannegan camps.  Ruth summit napping conditions are snow-free but sharp.  Extended north face ski route looked like it still goes, but I had people and a dog to keep track of so I passed.  My friend playing with his new crampons was admonished by the North Cascades Fashion Police for wearing them in soft corn.  The dog drank half of my water (~1.5 liters apiece).  No biting insects on the trail! (yet)

Road condition:
The only difficulty to speak of are three very small creek washthroughs (~1m wide, ~0.3m deep, very little water) in quick succession.  I drove over them easily with a Subaru Forester (medium-clearance).  I think a low-clearance vehicle can get over them but some minor scraping may occur.

Sounds like a good time out!  I forget that nap conditions are an essential part of turns in summer!  :)

How was the road? Would I be able to drive to the trailhead in my low clearance Subaru Legacy? Thanks, Garth  :)

Garth,

For what it is worth, we saw a Toyota Prius in the parking lot with 4 passengers arriving on Sunday afternoon.  We skied Ruth on Saturday night and Sunday morning, the views and skiing were outstanding.  Hope you can make the trip.

Dave

author=ash_j link=topic=10638.msg43239#msg43239 date=1215981538]
Ruth summit napping conditions are snow-free but sharp. 

That napping picture reminds me that I'm not the only one that can sleep anywhere.  Cool report!  I might do my August turns there.

Reply to this TR

2008-7-12-ruth-mtn
powscraper
2008-07-13 12:38:58