Home > Trip Reports > Pk 5373, Box Canyon - 7.12.08

Pk 5373, Box Canyon - 7.12.08

7/15/08
Posted by Stugie on 7/13/08 4:34am
I was committed.  I had promised the gf a hiking trip this weekend.  However, with a surf weekend and wedding weekend coming up still this month, this looked like it could be the last opportunity for turns in July for me.  However, I have diligently been spending much of my freetime the last couple years doing trail maintenance and developing a climbing area in Box Canyon (with the Forest Service's approval).  After being up there in June and then again last weekend and seeing what looked like promising snow remnants in the alpine, I thought it was worth a shot.

We camped low nearby Canyon Creek, and set off leisurely at around 9 am for Rachel Lake.  I wasn't sure what I was going to ski, and with the trail as busy as it was, I was frequently asked, "Do you think there's enough snow up there?" or "What are you planning on skiing?" - usually spoken with a touch of cynicism.  I usually replied, "Well I hope so!" or "I guess I'll find out!"  The occasional patch of snow in the trees was an encouraging sight, but I wouldn't know for sure until we reached the top.

Guess I did find out.  I'm sure my hoots and hollers were heard throughout the canyon when I saw my line - and was INCREDIBLY relieved to find large amounts of very skiable snow...

Navigation around the lake is easy with one semi-hairy creek crossing that we found out later can be avoided by crossing further down.  The snow/talus fields to the north of the lake (pictured below), are an easy traverse in good corn, but a fall will turn a skier into a swimmer in no time. 

The snow up the couloir was a bit more firm, about 1-2" of corn on a firm, slightly sun-cupped surface.  Moat on the climber's left side made for great up route, and afterwards I would have felt much better had I brought my axe and crampons with.  I topped out about 80' below the summit block (looks like easy 5th class, but not willing to climb solo) and had some incredible views of the valley to the south...

...and the north...

I began the descent around 2-2:30 pm.  I would say this run stays in great condition for a while, but the finishing couloir has a small window as the sun doesn't hit it for very long during the day and then it starts to shade up again.  Maybe 1-3 pm?  Snowpack is surprisingly good, but signs of heavy melting were very appearant.  Maybe a week at most for this line.  Higher up (near Rampart Lakes) might be good for a few days past that, as seen above.

Looking at Rachel Lake from the top of the couloir...

Back to the girl by 3 and kicked it by the lake for another hour.  When we arrived (about 12:30) there was still ice covering parts of the lake.  By the time I took this, the ice was long gone.  Despite how it looks, this continuous line starts near the top and drops all the way to the lake.

We left the lake a little after 4 and were back to the car by 6 pm.  A fun and easy hike (moderate incline within the last mile of the lake) with lots of great scenery (refreshing waterfalls, magnificent cliffs, and lots of changes in scenery) paired with a good 600vf line and great company rates at a 100 on the J-o-M! ;D

Modified to add date to title. ::)
Nice job Stugie,
Thanks for clearing the trails and making a great ski report to boot.
Looks like a real nice area to go out and hang out in the summer and dare I say not have to bring the skis?
Joe

The foreground audience in that last photo is a sublime touch.  What a wonderful ski spot. 

Thanks for the great TR! Looks like a perfect mix, or possibly transition trip into summer. Really cool you spent all that time helping to develop the trail, probably saves a lot of people a lot of time and effort. Takeing a trail is soooo much more mellow than shwacking. 

Reply to this TR

pk-5373-box-canyon-7-12-08
Stugie
2008-07-13 11:34:29