Home > Trip Reports > July 12, 2008, Chiwawa and Fortress

July 12, 2008, Chiwawa and Fortress

7/12/08
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 7/13/08 2:42am
Monika skied Chiwawa (SW route)first and then Fortress (SE route) yesterday.  Approached via Chiwawa River Trail.  The plan was to ski the SW route on Fortress and hike out Buck Creek trail, but after we met Bryce on his descent of Fortress and his report of less snow on the W side it was decided that we were to return the same way we came up.  We left skis and gear at the highest point of snow on the SE Ridge.  Monika was able to piece and link enough snow to ski down to 5840 ft.  Alot of hiking for not that much skiing.  The views from the summits were incredible and made it worth it for me.  I did not bring skis and was only along for the hike/scramble.
did not bring skis? is this really oyvind?

Sweet. Way to get out there.

I think Monika  deserves some style points for skiing the slam sans boot liners :)

I forgot - Monika - I presume in an effort to go ultra light - decided to leave her boot liners at home and with the help of several pairs of socks, balaclavas, mittens, etc around her feet skied the routes without liners - very impressive and without complaining about something that must have been quite a pain...........

author=Oyvind_Henningsen link=topic=10635.msg43326#msg43326 date=1216145118]
... presume in an effort to go ultra light - decided to leave her boot liners at home

no, just forgot them somehow in my haste to pack.  they were different shells to go with my summer ski set up.     Didn't even realize it until part way up Chiwawa  ???

At least I still got to ski after the work getting in :)
        And many thanks to Oyvind for carrying my skis and shells sans liners out for me.

That's impressive Monika!  I've had to ski without tongues before and I thought that was a wallowing challenge.  Couldn't imagine no liners.  8)

Reply to this TR

july-12-2008-chiwawa-and-fortress
Oyvind_Henningsen
2008-07-13 09:42:00