Home > Trip Reports > Camp Muir_July 12, 2008

Camp Muir_July 12, 2008

7/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Keith_Henson on 7/12/08 10:47pm
Yesterday I bet from the air the south side of Rainier looked like an anthill. The slopes were crawling with people by the hundreds. It was hard to find a place to sit down at Muir it was so crowded. I even saw a piker in street shoes at Muir.

Skiing down the first 700 feet from camp was a quite unpleasant as it was very suncupped. I moved over to the east side of the snowfield and the snow got increasingly better until it was very sweet corn and lots of fun. Had to carry skis for a couple hundred yards total on the way down--mostly by Pebble Creek just off of Pan Point. Was able to ski to the lodge from the base of Pan Point.

Here are a couple of pics of Greg and Gail, self described TAY "lurkers".

One of the Nisqually chutes looked really nice but I couldn't find anyone interested in skiing it with me. There were not a large number of skiers or boarders up there.
<delurking>

Nice to meet you, Keith! Beautiful day at Rainier, but then, when isn't it? Always good just to be up there. We've never skied this late in the year, which made it fun. Conditions were pretty good, too. But yes, it was crowded! We got a late start from home and didn't get to Paradise until around 10:00 am. That means we parked way down the road and got some extra hiking in (as expected). But that's OK -- it was a fun day. Maybe we'll bump into you again.

<relurking>  :)

Reply to this TR

camp-muir-july-12-2008
Keith_Henson
2008-07-13 05:47:47