Home > Trip Reports > July 9 - Elk Mountain - O.N.P.

July 9 - Elk Mountain - O.N.P.

7/15/08
Posted by Snow Bell on 7/10/08 2:56pm
6:3o PM Tuesday July 8.

Mack €œI don€™t have jury duty tomorrow.€
Me €œDeer Park, tonight?€
Mack  €œYes.€

Tour de chance

We left Mack€™s place on the Hood Canal Just after 10:30 for the 83 mile drive to Deer Park (SE of Pt. Angeles).  We stopped in Blyn for beer and chips before plunging forward into our night shrouded destiny.  We drank beer and ate chips.

The campground at DP was mostly empty when we arrived after 1.   The sky was clear and full of stars.  I saw a couple of shooting stars in the first few minutes.  I was sure that there were more and the fact that none of them hit us was a clear indication of our good fortune.  We didn€™t bother with a tent.

The campground at DP was a bustle with wildlife when we arose after 5.  Birds were calling, chipmunks foraging, a fawn and a young doe  grazed along the road beside us and a rabbit was checking on our north flank.  What I first thought were baby hummingbirds turned out to be mosquitoes.  The first tactical decision of the day: does one apply repellent before or after sunscreen for optimal results?  We ate breakfast and drank coffee.

The views into the Olympics from here are excellent.  Neither of us brought a camera but to borrow from Blair the views are €œmind melting€œ.  At 7:00 we left the trailhead where just one other car was parked.  The trail begins down a saddle on a ridgeline leading from Blue Mt. west onto Green Mt., Maiden Pk., Elk Mt. and Obstruction Pk. at 7.6 miles from the TH.  A few dozen down trees in the first two or three miles pose the only obstructions to the well kept trail.

The views into the Olympics get better as the trail progresses.  Grey Wolf Ridge is just south beyond the Cameron Creek drainage and Grand Valley including Grand Lake and Moose Lake.  Soon we could see directly into Surprise Col where Mack and I had last toured together among the Needles.  Everything east of Mt Deception looks to be done for the season from this northerly vantage.  Mt. Deception Glacier holds some skiing as does Mt. Anderson and its glaciers as well as others to the west.

Of course, Olympus was the elk in the room with big lines all over it€™s multiple glaciers.   

(Is it lame to include other people's pictures when you have none of your own to offer?)

Here are some photos in a better TR.   Thanks Mr. Skoog.

Chuten€™ Elk

We had not crossed any snow on our way out to Elk Mountain.  Lots and lots of flowers but seldom few patches along the wayside, for the most part the Grand Ridge is bare.  It looked pretty much like this:

We reached Elk (6575') after about three hours on the trail.  We established our fist €œcontingency line€ and continued scouting around the corner for something better.  Elk has an elongated top and three or four high points.  Mack was checking for lines and I scouted ahead on the trail.  I walked another 15 minutes reaching the Western most high point and scouting lines.  I was within a mile of Obstruction Pk. and the end of the Grand Ridge when I had finally found a good line.  It was about ¼ mile back east from where I came.  It was NW facing so I could see it very well.  Then I heard Mack shout to me, had not realized that I was going so far.  He was standing atop Elk€™s central peak above our line.  I think that he probably enjoyed the 40 minute break that my over achievement had afforded him.  Anyway, he was transitioned and ready to ski when I got back to him.  No rest for the weary.

We dropped into a 1275 vf run.  Nice and steep up top with plenty of room.  The snow was firm and the cupping was minimal, reminiscent of a wind ripple on calm water.  One ski length of no snow in the middle and then we ripped it right on down to the end.  A very rewarding ski for both of us.

Skis on the back and up to the top.  I stopped for water midslope (the only water we came across on this tour) contrary Mack€™s sagely advise.  I figure that if we don€™t drink fresh melt water for fear of giardia, then the terrorists have already won.  Besides, what is going to contaminate fresh mountain snow melt?  We deploy axes for the steep top 600vf (partly because we carried them out there) and decided that we were now ski mountaineering.  Once back atop the central peak, we dropped to the NE for a second, shorter run on somewhat softer but very nice corn.  Mack points out a mouse carcass in the snow and asks how my water tastes.  Skis on our backs and up to the top.

It was 2 when we climbed out from our second run.  We sat just below the north side of the ridge and transitioned back into trail mode.  We heard a helicopter approaching from the south.  In very dramatic fashion, a coast guard whirlybird buzzed Elk and flew just a hundred or two feet directly above us. Very cool. We were able to watch them for much of the hike out as they practiced maneuvers across Grand Valley (hovering just above the ground, deploying a basket, ect.). 

Mack was having one of his fancy dinner parties that evening so we needed to get back.  We paused only twice for brief interactions with the few hikers who were out there.  Otherwise, we burnt up six or so miles in two hours and twenty minutes.  Considering the downed trees and constant up and down, I felt pretty good about that but I am not a hiker so that may be a shameful pace.  If so, it was only one hour and twenty minutes.  ;)

We drank beer and ate chips.

We looked at our chutes from Sequim on the drive home.

We stopped in Blyn for ice cream.

Thanks Mack.

Looks like despite the "joy o' meter" numbers being pretty low, you all still managed to make a good day of it. Way to go get it out there in the Olympics! Next year you all are going to have to show me the goods.

Nice Tr Joe.

Chris

Joe,
Sorry I missed out.  Glad the chutes still went.  That scree bench was there last year when we skied the west chute. Is there still good coverage all the way to the meadow?

Nope.  It could have gone but looked sloppy and intermittent. 

BTW check out ovrthhills's TR from June 30-July 1, 2007 for photos and more snow.

author=Snow Bell link=topic=10625.msg43164#msg43164 date=1215755808]
6:3o PM Tuesday July 8.

Neither of us brought a camera but to borrow from Blair the views are “mind melting“. 

No need for a camera when you can draw pictures with your pen. Well written TR. I can taste the beer and chips.

Major inaccuracy in Joe's Pulitzer-quality TR:  I had vodka and Cheetos.  We must be clear about the conditions.

author=ovrthhills link=topic=10625.msg43169#msg43169 date=1215787982]
Joe,
Sorry I missed out.  Glad the chutes still went. 

Me too, it would have been nice to have you along.

Me too, it would have been a disappointing walk back had they not.

author=telemack link=topic=10625.msg43183#msg43183 date=1215799407]
Major inaccuracy in Joe's Pulitzer-quality TR: I had vodka and Cheetos. We must be clear about the conditions.

If it is clarity of conditions we seek; you also had Vodka and Cheetos.

If it is a quality TR we seek; one of us needs to remember a camera.

Reply to this TR

july-9-elk-mountain-o-n-p
Snow Bell
2008-07-10 21:56:48