Home > Forum > fast and discreet boot repair?

fast and discreet boot repair?

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
10 Jul 2008 19:45 #182388 by alecapone
fast and discreet boot repair? was created by alecapone
I am looking for a good ski boot repair shop... Quickly!! Before my SO realises I cut the tongues out of her boot liners.. ::)

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
10 Jul 2008 19:53 #182389 by Randy Beaver
Replied by Randy Beaver on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?
a dozen roses and a mea culpa?

More
10 Jul 2008 20:08 #182390 by korup
Replied by korup on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?
Dave Page in Fremont does great work. Not super fast or convenient, however.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
10 Jul 2008 20:43 #182393 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?
hahaa, If I throw in a back rub it might work!!

He might not be fast, but can this Dave Page guy keep a secret?

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Jul 2008 22:22 #182394 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?
I recommend Page too:

Dave Page, Cobbler (800) 252-1229
3509 Evanston Ave. N
Seattle, WA 98103

He may be able to do it in several days if you call and make an appointment, then drop them off (it's in Fremont not far from the drawbridge); or, the rock shoes and sandals I sent in came back in 2 weeks RT. They'll do good work on all manner of outdoor footwear.

I think you oughta get 'em fixed and then tell her the truth, bubba. What if she notices the new stitching?! ::)

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
10 Jul 2008 23:21 #182396 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?

Any suggestions?

Make it look like a robbery. Leave the tattered liners strewn about in the ransacked livingroom. Pawn some of your good stuff and buy yourself some liner tongues or whatever it was that caused you to remove hers. Let her pay to repair her own boots. Really, their her boots.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
11 Jul 2008 08:36 #182398 by alecapone
Who would have ever thought? Not only is TAY a great resource for BC skiing related topics, you can get good lessons in life matters as well. Thanks for you advice Mack, but I think I like Snowbell's idea better. Except I am going to pawn off the stuff I wanted to upgrade.... and let her fix her own boots.

Honestly, I told her last night. I started with the back rub, and she said that it wasn't happening. I told her that's not what I want, so she asked"what did you do?" She took it quite well.... the news of her tongues that is.

Looks like Dave it is. Thanks guys.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Jul 2008 09:11 #182399 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?
I've just gotta ask - why'd you do it? I'm sure there's an obvious explanation that I'm just missing...

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
11 Jul 2008 09:17 #182400 by Randy Beaver
and she reads TAY how often.....?

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
11 Jul 2008 09:33 #182402 by alecapone
I was trying to cobble together a more practical pair of boots. I am tired of trekking around the back country in the equivalent of 1980's moonboots. I am not the sure footed billy goat some guys are. I'd go AT, but I like the ride down too much. When I get with Dave, I am going to see if he can hook me up as well.

A shank, toe box, welts, and a vibram soles would be nice.

She doesn't lurk, so I am cool.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Jul 2008 12:02 #182403 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?

I was trying to cobble together a more practical pair of boots. I am tired of  trekking around the back country in the equivalent of 1980's moonboots. I am not the sure footed billy goat some guys are.  I'd go AT, but I like the ride down too much.  When I get with Dave, I am going to see if he can hook me up as well.

A shank, toe box, welts, and a vibram soles would be nice.

She doesn't lurk, so I am cool.

I'm on tele gear, so can't comment with too much authority, but there are several lines of really robust AT boots coming out this year that have been well reviewed by folks who like the ride down a lot... May be worth looking into.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
11 Jul 2008 12:47 - 11 Jul 2008 13:25 #182405 by alecapone

I'm on tele gear, so can't comment with too much authority, but there are several lines of really robust AT boots coming out this year that have been well reviewed by folks who like the ride down a lot...  May be worth looking into.

Sorry to not be more clear. I am looking for an alternative to soft snowboard boots.

Yes, there are some really good advances in the AT technology. Which is exactly what I am pushing for in the snowboard boot market. Wishing a reputable company would realise it isn't all about  ''check my steeze rippin the park yo''.

I went up interglacier with Dr. Bones(greg) about a month ago, and he was rocking some marker bindings and some big stiff AT boots. I forget what the boot brand was, but man could he ride!!! Judging by watching him, you would never have known he was on an AT setup. Then again, he looked like he could have done just as well in bed-slippers and waterskis.

Greg flying down some variable snow like it was freshly groomed.. photo by skierlyles

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10396.0;id=3924;image

I am not so sure anything that burly would be good for a snowboard though. I have tried my Lowa structura lights in walk with the hinged tongues and it was still a little to stiff for me.. That was a while back though. My riding skills may have advanced to intermediate by now. Maybe I should give them another try.

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
11 Jul 2008 12:57 - 11 Jul 2008 13:01 #182406 by Randy Beaver
I've been splitboarding in Salomon mountaineering boots (leather, w/ steel shank) and been really happy with their performance in 3 crucial areas-hiking/rock hopping to da snow, skinning up, and the all important riding down. plus, and this iz a biggie, I'm keeping intact my steez, even among the treez!

Also see here for the Frankenboot evolution-http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5072

$50 bucks off the Craigzlist.......

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
11 Jul 2008 13:13 #182407 by alecapone
Thanks mr. beaver.

I have been following that post. That's exactly what I want. They just seems like they would be a touch heavy because of the 2 soles.. but that would still be lighter then carrying my softies just so I can hike up in mountaineering boots.

I'll see if Dave is up to some franken cobbling like that... If not, may just go to a normal boot repair and see what they think.

I have been wearing scarpa frenneys for the hiking part. I tried skinning once, but the highback was going to do serious damage to my heel. And I like to drive my toe side with my shins... which is totaly lacking.. That's what the tongues where for. ;)

are the salomons taller? or do you cope by using a little more ankle muscle?

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
11 Jul 2008 13:34 #182408 by Randy Beaver
Not sure of the height of the ones you mention. the salomons are lower than a snowboard boot, but their lacing system puts enough pressure at the ankle to have my shins feeling pretty zipped in. Have you checked out second ascent or feathered friends (hi lisa).....maybe rent something and try em out?

I get highback hitting calf as well, but it hasn't been to much of a discomfort issue, primarily because i'm to busy huffing and puffing, which is a nice distraction.

The Salomons probably are 3 inches up from my ankle and account for my eminently mockable 2 tone leg tan.

Basically its cost benefit. Snowboard boots are worn in powder/winter, but the scrambling etc in summer makes me prefer a boot that satisfies in all 3 areas rather than a snowboard boot which is gonna suck in the hiking dept.

More
11 Jul 2008 13:42 #182409 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: fast and discreet boot repair?
I am probably not the pickiest guy but leather mountaineering boots has worked fine in a snowboard binding for me. I had some super mountain 8s that were a little low and gave me a rasberry on the back of my calf in a long traverse, then I got some la sportivas that were a little higher and no complaints. They are great to walk in too. This season for no particular reason I spent more time on the skis than the board.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
14 Jul 2008 11:24 #182428 by alecapone
I wasn't aware ron! Here I thought you where a skiing purest. ;)
Funny you would chime in. i took that bad slide on Antler last season, while wearing AT boots. Oh,,, maybe it's not the boots...

I have trouble down hill too.

I agree with the idea that it is going to be a seasonal game. The softer the conditions, the softer the boots. I'll keep toying with a better spring setup that works for me.. ANd yes, I try to visit SA as often as possible. That's where I bought the used scarpas

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
14 Jul 2008 12:32 #182429 by Randy Beaver
I have the salomon super mtn 8's as well, haven't harvested straw, blue, or raspberries off my calves since starting to wear em