Home > Trip Reports > July 8, 2008, Heliotrope Ridge

July 8, 2008, Heliotrope Ridge

7/8/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Alan Brunelle on 7/9/08 3:26am
Having skied and hiked this area many times in the past, I felt that this would be a great day trip for my son and I.  It is hard to believe that we pulled this off considering how slow we moved on the trail portion of the trip.  I should have read more closely the last post by Stewie and Scotsman's follow-up on trail conditions!  First off, that "log of death" almost stopped me cold!  Needing plenty of coffee to make the 3hr drive up, meant that my legs were all jittery to begin with, and I had to back off that thing!  After Nick took the opportunity to use the facilities, I felt better and we proceeded, but I normally drink only decaf and that coffee made my legs behave as if they were having and out of body experience.  (Much better on the way down!)  After that, the occasional diversion from a blown down tree every few hundred yards slowed us a bit, but the big blowdowns near the end of the trail were very disheartening for my son and I.  We had a lunch just before the continuous snow and that really seemed to pump energy into Nick.  (I need to realize that while I have almost endless reserves of stored onboard energy  ;), my kid is very lean and easily runs low without constant stoking.)  Once we started booting up, elevation came fast and so did spirits.
Taking advantage of the spectacular weather, we found ourselves on ideal snow for bootpacking and booted from 4800ft. up to 5900ft. 

Nick booting on up just above the lower snowfields

This made my son ask why it was that we had come all this way with skins on skis only to carry them all the way to the top.  No matter, the terrain mellowed out and at 5900ft skiing became more efficient so we donned skis and headed up on a direct heading to the intersection point of Heliotrope and Marmot Ridges (at least as described on some maps).  Prior to hitting the steep slopes of that point, we corkscrewed slowly around the back of another high ridge point where eventually the terrain leveled a bit and then we stopped. 

Nice skinning terrain on the glacier on up to our high point.

The descent began down the front of this 1000ft. dome of perfect corn snow on minimal suncup.  I think the snowpack up there has been freezing well  with these clear nights and even with a rest at the top and a late departure from the top, we hit ideal conditions with only the top couple inches thawed.

Nick heading down that lower snowfield section just prior to heading into the trees below.

This was Nick's first real boot pack, so somewhat unique to his experience.  However he got off easy, because on the transition from booting to skinning at 5900ft I let him put his helmet on and we left his pack at the bottom of that slope.

Upon ascent through the blowdown, I had almost given up on continuing.  I am glad we persisted, because we were rewarded with a great experience above the trail with well over 2000ft of great skiing, and, hey, we were only going to have to go down through horror show of a trail anyway!  I can't believe that two years ago I had taken my kids (with young daughter) up that trail. 

Alan
nice TR, great pics!

Great TR and a wonderful experience with your son.

Excellent stuff. We need to get together some time and take the boys out together. Skiing with your son or daughter is a very rewarding experience although as they get older and stronger and start beating you up the hill and saying, " come on old man", it takes a while to adjust! ;)

Thanks for the TR, especially your warnings about the blowdowns and the fact that the snow is good enough to make it all worthwhile. We're going up on Friday, and I'm going to print your pictures and pin them to the back of Jimmy's pack as a "carrot" to keep me going.

author=jeff_s link=topic=10610.msg43105#msg43105 date=1215661556]
We're going up on Friday, and I'm going to print your pictures and pin them to the back of Jimmy's pack as a "carrot" to keep me going.

You're somehow assuming you'll be behind me....  You know I need lots of breaks to resttake photos of the scenary.

author=Scotsman link=topic=10610.msg43080#msg43080 date=1215633496]
Excellent stuff. We need to get together some time and take the boys out together. Skiing with your son or daughter is a very rewarding experience although as they get older and stronger and start beating you up the hill and saying, " come on old man", it takes a while to adjust! ;)

I'm game!

We sort of started the season with a goal to get to Adams and ski the SW chutes.  I did the south route many years ago and I remember looking down those chutes stating "why the heck are we going that way, this looks way more fun!"  So I wanted to get back there someday.  Unfortunately with the price of gas, and even more important the 5hr drive I am not so interested right now.  I can't see putting my son through that kind of pain.

So I have been putting my sites on more northerly trips where I can at least stomach a three hour drive.

We are still in a strong learning mode, gaining strength and speed with time.  Not sure you guys would want to put up with that.

I am contemplating Ruth, and for us it would mean an overnight.  For me that would mean more yo-yo-ing on Ruth proper by staying the night.

But something we backed off of last year, Coleman Pinnacle is also something I want to revisit.  I have really wanted to get out past the pinnacle and ski the snowfields just north of the Rainbow, but have not had the time to get back out there.

I am also very open to new ideas.

Alan

Good stuff up there beyond all the trail thrashes.  Monika's TR may have explained why the snow has been good the past several days.

author=telemack link=topic=10610.msg43137#msg43137 date=1215723776]
Good stuff up there beyond all the trail thrashes.  Monika's TR may have explained why the snow has been good the past several days.

Yeh, seems like there are pretty good conditions north.  Maybe the aspect to the sun also is helping at those locales.  Photos from other reports at Rainier and Adams seem to show much deeper sun cups.  Maybe the cloudy rainy weather flattended things down more up north.

Alan

Reply to this TR

july-8-2008-heliotrope-ridge
Alan Brunelle
2008-07-09 10:26:33