Home > Trip Reports > November 29, 2003, Alpental

November 29, 2003, Alpental

11/29/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by MW88888888 on 11/29/03 9:21pm
Alpental, 1,600' vertical of potentially dangerous schlop.

Saturday, 6:30 am, the promised snow on the backside of the storm never came.  Ron and I bet each other on what exit the rain would change to snow on the drive up, then were both praying it would be snow in the parking lot when we arrived.  We were both dissapointed.  

Ski conditions were grim.  A steady rain fell to the sounds of wind and the parking lot looked like a somewhat large stream in spring time.  One thing was for sure, there was still a lot of snow around and rain on top of all this snow could be deadly.  

Before the snow changed to rain - ending a week long streak of snow - it managed to snow another foot.  This on top of the three plus feet already fallen.  We were cautious of the avy danger and the pit we dug above the mid station bore the tale:  At least 5 feet of new snow was compacted down on top of the old layer.  The famous Covered Bridge fell victom to the load 2 am Sat morning as the 5 feet of snow quickly gained weight in the rain:

The snow hadn't frozen so a rain crust wasn't in place, anywhere in the new snow.  Could be very sketchy.  Once we rounded a corner on the trail leading into Edelweiss Bowl and saw a few surface avy's, we decided to play it safe and descend.

The powder of Thursday was no more, but the snow was still a lot of fun.  We worked our way down the main ski run, Ron enjoying the ride now on his 174 Supermodel and I on my 164 short board crashing down the super schlop.  Once we hit the groomers we could really enjoy ourselves and semi spring corn conditions ended our run on a happy note.

A lot of snow, a lot of rain, must be in the right place!  Geeez - what a great start to the winter of 2003.  This Thanksgiving weekend ski vacation ran the gambit from epic powder to steady rain, but over all the amount of base on the ground can only spell good things to come.  

(for sample photos of Alpental 11-29: http://groups.msn.com/MCSAWashington/alpental112903.msnw)
Neat bridge photo. I hope you don't mind but I've posted your photo on TelemarkTips w/ credits to you and a link back to this thread.

Jeff

Man....  maybe it sounds silly, but I am kind of saddened by the bridge going down.  I have so many positive memories of walking across that thing, so full of excitement and anticipation in the morning, tired but so happy in the afternoon.

But most of all, how will this affect the opeining date for Alpental?  I love skinning the area before it opens, I always have, but I also have a season pass and I'm ready to use it.  I haven't ridden any lifts yet which is odd, I usually seem to hit one of the early days at Stevens or Crystal.

Reply to this TR

november-29-2003-alpental
MW88888888
2003-11-30 05:21:26