Home > Trip Reports > suprise lake (alpine wildy)july 5-6, 2008

suprise lake (alpine wildy)july 5-6, 2008

7/15/08
Posted by alecapone on 7/7/08 7:52am
Didn't feel like messing with the holiday crowds and traffic so I kept it local. Went up Suprise creek to camp/ride at the lake. Trail is bare and easy first couple of miles, then occasional snow. All bridges are visible except where to cross the creek to get to the lake at the top. Plenty of snow bridge though. Lake is starting to melt on the edges, but not enough to fish for the kokanee's.

Wanted to ride either the north bowl on thunder, or the NE chute on suprise. Well suprise! In less then the week since my last visit when everything was still looking good, neither is really all that continuous anymore. Between that and the rain and the whiteout conditions with clouds rolling through at that low elevation. I ended just relaxing around the lake and taking pictures of waterfalls and other happy stuff.

Still an enjoyable weekend.

suprise mt. chute on lookers right still pretty mcuh goes from the top to the exit, then it gets patchy and rocky. the patches still link all teh way to the lake, but it doesn't loo like fun.

Thats a awesome area I've passed it in the summer on the PCT thinking it had amazing skiing potential.

I agree. A bit of a ways in, so it doesn't get much action. My question on the other site was going to be whether this was easier to access in the winter via the pct, and a lift assist at Stevens. A map answered my question...

I took some photos of the area from windy point mid June if you want a somewhat decent look. Only the first twelve, but 13 looks nice too.. Sorry for the crappy pics.

edit:picture 11 is not the suprise lake area, it's on the east side of trap pass.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/luckyana/july%204th/?action=view&current=ruckus235.jpg

Reply to this TR

suprise-lake-alpine-wildy-july-5-6-2008
alecapone
2008-07-07 14:52:52