Home > Trip Reports > 6 July Table Mountain

6 July Table Mountain

7/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by lordhedgie on 7/6/08 12:17pm
I skied around a little bit around Bagley Lakes last week, and I was really looking forward to a chance to give it a more serious working over.  After much hand-wringing and watching the weather forecasts, we decided Sunday was due for a late-morning/early-afternoon sunbreak, so we planned on a late start.  The idea was we would climb until the sun peaked through the clouds, then harvest the fresh corn.

I was astonished to find about 2-3 feet of snow had vanished in the last week.  Where previously it had been easy to skin up, we found ourselves taking a few dead ends.  After a little backtracking, we decided to hike up the road to Artist Point.  At this point I also discovered I had lost a hook holding a skin to my tail.

Jeff realizing we had taken yet another wrong turn

The road to Artist Point is clear except for the final half mile, when it becomes a nice skinable cat track.  Definately the fastest way up to Artist Point, and boasting a good number of hikers, sledders, and snowboarders walking along it.  We ran into two skiers at the top who were planning to head over towards the Coleman Pinnacle, but the snow conditions that direction didn't look any better, so we passed and decided to ski down the side of Table Mountain.  Amazingly, several hundred feet above where I had lost my skin hook, I found another identical to mine sitting in the snow here.  Coincidence?  Fate?  I don't know.

The closed road to Artist Point

We headed down a chute that I had seen while skinning up, but halfway down paused to reflect on the decision.  Given better snow conditions, I wouldn't have hesitated, but the hard suncups were making the 55-60 degree slope less of a thrillride and more like riding over potholes on blown shocks.  We ended up booting back up, where we ran into Zap and Jill heading the other direction.

Luckily, Zap knew of another chute nearby that he thought might be in better shape.  Sure enough, the suncups were soft enough to make for a pleasant trip, at least for the first two-thirds of the descent.  I wouldn't call it stellar corn, but it was smooth enough to get some speed and a little hooting. 

Skiing in July.  Film at 11.

Jeff taking a well-deserved, but unplanned, mid-slope rest

Jeff makes up for it by looking good

We had a long discussion about whether to boot back up or head back.  The sun was still showing no signs of breaking through the clouds, and the suncups were knocking our fillings loose, so we decided to call it a day and head to the Nork Fork Brewery and Beer Shrine for pizza.  Zap was kind enough to guinea pig the path along the river, which did turn out to be stable enough to bring up back to the parking lot.

In all, not the best day of skiing I've had this year, but the best I've had this July.  I'm working towards my first consecutive year of turns, with one asterisk -- I've now skied December, January, February, March, May, June, and July -- I spent the entirety of April at sea on an aircraft carrier, which I think ought to get some sort of special consideration.  ::)

I'm thinking of trying to hit this area again later this week to see if the sun softens anything up, but right now it's bumpy.  Complete photo set is here.

Panorama shot of Herman from Bagley Lake
Jill and I met Jimmy and Jeff in the upper Mt. Baker Ski Area parking lot.  As a side note,the footings for the new lift are being poured and the parking lot has the new lift towers.  We let the boys skim the sun cups while we enjoyed an early lunch.  The sun cups are getting BIG.  We put on the skins and ski crampons which helped the sun cup bridging. We were able to stay on snow until joining Jimmy and Jeff above the chutes.  But the route from the parking lot is very serpentine.  The chute we skied had large sun cups on the edges and smaller and softer sun cups in the center of the chute.  As Jimmy mentioned, the lower sun cups were firm.   One run was enough.  Herman Saddle still has coverage but there are some DEEP runnels.  There is still a skiable line down Herman put it won't last long.  We had planned to stay overnight and tour on Monday but the conditions were not worthy.  It was nice to meet and ski with Jimmy and Jeff. I posted a couple of overcast photos.

Photo 1 - View of Herman Saddle and Bagley Lakes with sun cups and runnels
Photo 2 - View of our tracks down the chute
Photo 3 - Jimmy in chute

On the 5th Scotsman, Stewie and I climbed the central line on Table above upper Bagley Lake in steady rain, blowing wind, and small but hard suncups-pretty miserable.  So much for the
"Better in the North Cascades" forecast/hope. 

It was an unpleasant surprise to see how much backpackers'-type trash there was in Bagley Lakes Basin from snow campers.

We had much better conditions the 6th on Heliotrope Ridge.  See TR from Stewie.

author=telemack link=topic=10583.msg42936#msg42936 date=1215444727]
We had much better conditions the 6th on Heliotrope Ridge.  See TR from Stewie.

Grrrr.

So who wants to explore Heliotrope with me?  I'm free just about every day except Wednesday.

Hey Jim, Zap & Jill, thanks for great company on another fun day out on the snow. Thanks Zap for finding the smoothest of the suncups.

Jim, the aircraft carrier dispensation sounds OK by me---maybe jumping off the deck at least once in the month would count as an alternative. Of course you'd have to do it with skis on  ;).

I found out I need to be back in Seattle by 6:30 on Thursday evening; maybe that day could work for the Heliotrope trip. I could play hooky on Friday if that works better for you & others.

Reply to this TR

6-july-table-mountain
lordhedgie
2008-07-06 19:17:59