Home > Trip Reports > July 1/08 Worm Flows Route,MSH

July 1/08 Worm Flows Route,MSH

7/15/08
Posted by Telemon on 7/5/08 2:10pm
We (Snowbell, Nick BC and Telemon) needed a rest and relocation day after our long adventure on Mt. Adams, June 29th. We checked out the Climbers Bivouac road (still lots of snow) before making a campsite at the Marble Mt. Sno-Park. Someone had kindly left the makings for a nice campfire. All of the other groups squeezed as close as they could to the trailhead, so we had some privacy when we hit the bed around 10.

Even though we thought that we were pretty organized, it took us the best part of an hour after the 4:15 alarm to be ready. We probably were the first out and we were definitely the first back (Snowbell was packing his tent by 1:30). There was snow to the parking lot, but it didn't make much sense to ski for the first mile or so. Once again our party appeared to be the only skiers skinning on the mountain. There were several dry carries, most only short sections. I would guess that 95% of 6 mile trail had snow on it. The middle gullies had a fair amount of rock fall to work through and, of course, the top section had an ash layer.

Nick and I forgot to bring Canadian flags to celebrate our national holiday, but I do have a stylized red maple leaf on my helmet which we acknowledged as we wished each other a happy Canada Day. ..which it was!The views weren't great, though. Marine haze and forest fires obscured Hood, Rainier and most of Adams.  We left the party around noon and enjoyed dirtier but nicer corn than what we found on the S.W. Chutes. I got tired of taking my skis on and off in the very last section through the forest and hiked the last mile or so, but Nick road his skis all the way to the car.

Snowbell had arranged with his wife to be picked up at exit 21; she arrived precisely on time. Nick and I crashed at Rusty Knees place. Just like Snowbell, we had never met him before, except on TAY. Another positive experience made possible through this internet community.Nick has almost completed his first year and I matched my age in months. I get to do it again in August when I will be 57.  More photos to be found here:  http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46624
Thanks for the TR.  Our group was the skiing group carrying our skis that you have a picture of at Telemarktips.  It was a great day to be up there, for sure.  The snow was incredible for July 1.  I skinned for a little ways up the rocky gully but decided I was more efficient carrying.  Some of the others skinned a little higher from that picture, all the way up.  I beat them by 45 minutes so was happy with my choice.  Being a bit of a rookie skinner, it was easier for me.

Reply to this TR

july-1-08-worm-flows-route-msh
Telemon
2008-07-05 21:10:03