Home > Trip Reports > 7/2/8, Tatoosh Couloir

7/2/8, Tatoosh Couloir

7/2/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by danhelmstadter on 7/2/08 8:37am
Plans fell through for the big hill today, but the obvious Tatoosh couloir as seen from Narada Falls, has been tempting me for a while, would it be in good condition though?

Left at around 11, near Reflection lake, and followed a snowcovered creekbed down to a wetland area, and was at the base of the route in no time. The route looks much smaller from the bottom, according to the map it's about 1600'. The climbing was fun, I was disappointed to find moderate to heavy sun-cupage in the narrows of the couloir, with only minor to moderate cupage below on the apron.

I was nearly slaughtered mid-couloir by a high speed jagged basketball size rock, it was coming down the center, I was smartly climbing the side. Big moats on either side, very scenic climbing, reminiscent of the Rockies. The col at the top was very pretty too, Adams was not visible through the haze, Rainier was clear for the moment, but a thunderhead menaced on its northern flanks.

The skiing for the most part in the narrows of the couloir, was fairly poor, due to big suncups and much embedded rock. However it was a lot of fun skiing such a narrow couloir with big moats on the sides. The apron was excellent skiing with minor cupage. A short ramble throught the woods put me back on the road.

*** There are many aspects in the Tatoosh that are not suncupped, the couloir was dirty, and nw faceing... Anyone have any hidden or less obvious couloir suggestions for this range? looks like it will be best to stay out of the big hills for a couple days.

Sounds as though that thing is a bit sketchy. Did you have to do the one turn at a time method. I had a rock come to me and  I was ready to click in -- I took my ski and blocked it. The doctor said rocks can like that can kill ya.  At least we're always learning out there.

Nice work man, those are some beautiful tracks.  Sucks about the sh***y rock the cascades have, always trying to take out climbers.  Sick line again bro, props.

Dan, nice tracks on a classic line that was a bit fatter awhile back. It is amazing that there are some beautiful lines that don't require epic long slogs.  ;)

Another bit of ribbon...good going!  Does look scenic!

Reply to this TR

7-2-8-tatoosh-couloir
danhelmstadter
2008-07-02 15:37:09