Home > Trip Reports > 2008, July 2, Hyalite Peak, North Gallatins, MT

2008, July 2, Hyalite Peak, North Gallatins, MT

7/15/08
Posted by MBA on 7/2/08 6:59am
Last week I skied Mount Blackmore out of Hyalite Canyon.  With an easy approach, amazing coverage, and decent snow, I decided it worth my while to return to ski Hyalite Peak.  I was able to climb the wide Hyalite Creek singletrack with my bike to the "Silky Stein" (weird name) waterfall, which got me at least 3 miles in.  From there I sneakered it on the trail of undulating dirt, consolidated snow, and treewell bridges for another mile, and then skinned the rest, making the summit before noon. 
The rain the night before had done the trick, and the skiing was great.  And with my skis sandwiched and clipped sideways on my BD Covert 2, I got a sweet little mtb descent out of the deal without worrying about catching limbs or brush.  Nice! 
Schweet!  did you do one of the north face couloirs of Blackmore? I remmember there is a lot of cool terrain in that area, skiing the Great One, on Sac changed my life. any pics?

author=danhelmstadter link=topic=10549.msg42755#msg42755 date=1215043029]
Schweet!  did you do one of the north face couloirs of Blackmore? I remmember there is a lot of cool terrain in that area, skiing the Great One, on Sac changed my life. any pics?

The Blackmore top chutes are money right now; I skied from the summit down the drainage to the flats, then booted back over the ridge, and then down the SE face.  No photos (camera died in La Push; moisture perhaps?) I'll get a new one soon.

Reply to this TR

2008-july-2-hyalite-peak-north-gallatins-mt
MBA
2008-07-02 13:59:42