Home > Trip Reports > June 29, 2008, - Chinook Pass pond skimming

June 29, 2008, - Chinook Pass pond skimming

6/29/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/2/08 6:35am
My old friend Jeff was visiting from Louisiana, so Zach and I had to take him skiing in midsummer.  He'd been on alpine gear twice about 25 years ago, but he was game.

We had a fun day goofing off around Naches Peak.  Jeff was a real trooper - and he was able to manage some reasonable parallel turns by the end of the day.

We paused to build a little kicker - for Zach, not for us old guys.  But a passing Ranger told us it was illegal to build kickers in the National Park.  That so?  I never knew.

We finished with some pond-skimming on partially melted Little Tipsoo Lake.  You're all probably tired of hearing me rave about the silly fat skis (Pontoons).  But pond skimming with Pontoons on a hot day is just stupid fun.  Zach was really getting into "carving" in the water and trying to throw up roostertails on his water turns. 

We finished with a dip in the White River just west of Greenwater.  If you park at the first pull-off inside the state park, head just downstream to find a calm pool about 4 feet deep, well protected from the current.  Very refreshing on a hot day.
They'd probably tell you it was illegal to spit too.  Oh well - glad you guys had a good time!

Had to add photos of the illegal kicker and the pond skimming.

author=GregSimon link=topic=10548.msg42738#msg42738 date=1215034552]
But a passing Ranger told us it was illegal to build kickers in the National Park.  That so?  I never knew.

Weird.  ??? I see boarders building jumps around the Paradise area all the time and I've never seen anyone hassle them.

author=GregSimon link=topic=10548.msg42738#msg42738 date=1215034552]
But a passing Ranger told us it was illegal to build kickers in the National Park.  That so?  I never knew.

Boy, I'd sure like to deconstruct this rule, if it exists.

Is it illegal to shovel snow in a national park? Does that include building igloos? Is it illegal to jump over a naturally occurring pile of snow? Or is it only illegal to jump over a pile of snow that you built with a shovel? What if the pile of snow is an igloo? Could that be a loophole?  ;)

And if building kickers is illegal, when did it become illegal? The first major ski jumping tournament in the Washington Cascades was held at Paradise in July 1917. Miss Olga Bolstad won it, beating all the men who entered. They built a kicker for that event. The tournament was held annually until 1923.

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=10548.msg42928#msg42928 date=1215408883]
Miss Olga Bolstad won it, beating all the men who entered.

well ain't that the kicker!

You might ask Garth  ;)    Hope you don't get a ticket in 6 months!

Reply to this TR

june-29-2008-chinook-pass-pond-skimming
GregSimon
2008-07-02 13:35:52