Home > Trip Reports > July 1, 2008, Silver Peak-Conditions Update

July 1, 2008, Silver Peak-Conditions Update

7/1/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 7/1/08 8:51am
I arrived at the TH at 7:30am and found it deserted.  I started skinning next to the car.  Between the TH at approximately 3400€™ and the flats at 4000€™, I encountered 7 bare sections that required the removal of the skis. I followed the road which is longer but I was curious about the coverage.  I would imagine there will be 9 bare sections by Wednesday morning.  From the flats, there was a 10€™ bare section traversing the trees.  From there to the upper ridgeline, there is continuous snow coverage.  I skinned to the ridgeline and enjoyed the wildflowers along the bare sections facing west.  The descent to the west down to Annette Lake looked to have a couple of bare sections and the lake appeared to be melting.  I had to return to Seattle for an appointment, so I did not linger at the ridge. The sun cups were still firm and it was a bumpy ride on the steeper slopes.  A few extra hours would have softened them nicely.  On the descent, I stayed skier right next to the trees and had adequate coverage from the flat to approximately 3800€™.  I then did some creative traversing and joined the road very close to the hikers TH.  From that point to the car, I had 2 short bare sections then skied to the car.  You may be able to piece together an ascent from the car through the trees up to the flats but it may require some meandering.  I€™m not big on long and gradual approaches, especially when it€™s warm.  I invested more energy for the amount of turns I enjoyed. But then I€™m an ole guy.  ;) The sun cups are developing and I found the ski crampons very helpful.   

Nice update on a rapidly melting tour. The flowers were quite nice, eh? Paintbrush, heather, and some other stuff I don't know the names of.

The line toward Annette was a little disappointing. Not having that option makes it a little more of a "hike with skis and a few short fun shots." Still, I love the spot it gets you to, and it's a super easy option w/o all the dog poo you see at Alpental.

The snow was hard even late on Sunday afternoon, FWIW (a little better skiers right through the NW basin which catches more of the late-day sun). As of yesterday, a few friends I'd given beta to managed to ski continuous snow in the mature forest down low by sticking to climber's left of the creek (which was quite pretty to ski along!). I prefer that to messing around out in the discontinuous clearcut, even though the snow is bumpy and hard in the woods. At least on Sunday afternoon, there were nice cool breezes flowing down through low spots in the woods - it was weird alternating between those and the hot breezes. The dog and I loved it.

I was up on Silver latter that afternoon.  Too bad I missed you.  I had fun on Unicorn together.  The open areas softened up nicely later in the day.  With just my skins I had trouble on steeper sections where the cups were still firm, even at four pm. 

I would have said the snow sucked, BUT I was at four thousand feet and it is July, so I guess I mean it was awesome.

Finally made it up there myself today (July 2nd) for a morning patrol. Saw one other group and as I left there were 3 other cars parked, so people are getting it while the getting's ... existant. As others have reported the snow is surprisingly hard. And fairly cuppy. I'm used to it being a little smoother up there, but I'm also used to being able to get up there 4-6 weeks earlier. Go the suggested along-the-creek way at the very least for the first half up, and down, of the normally-clearcut part. The clearcut is a scratchy mess (I have the scars to prove it).

It certainly is novel to top out on the ridge and see many wildflowers (paintbrush, phlox, heather, harebell) in bloom at the TOP of your tour  :)

I went down my favorite steep way, which starts from just over the divide point of the two basin lobes. It went fine, but cups very tightly spaced. With an optimistic stance towards both the likelihood of and the consequences of falling thru a snowbridge into the lively creek (which I crossed and recrossed maybe a dozen times, that's where the best snow band was), it was possible to ski within a few yards of the parking.

Thanks for all the updates.  Was thinking of a possible trip there this weekend.

Maybe a picture of the suncups will help someone. July 2nd

wow, that looks like fun. ::)

A good day to go topless though.

Mrs. Doober, baby Doober, Doggy Doober and I got up on the 1st as well. All in all a fine outing. The meltouts on the lower bit made for some interesting travel, but the weather and turns were perfect. By the way, this will be baby's 7th consecutive month of skiing / sliding and he isn't even 7 months old yet! We'll see if we can't keep the streak going.

Skied Silver yesterday (July 4) with Brian and birthday boy Andy (lowrider).  The rain has soften the top inch or so of the suncups, but it's still a hard bumpy ride.  We ascended W bowl, descended E bowl.  Still lot's o' snow up there.

author=Mr.Doober link=topic=10534.msg42841#msg42841 date=1215145793]
Mrs. Doober, baby Doober, Doggy Doober and I got up on the 1st as well. All in all a fine outing. The meltouts on the lower bit made for some interesting travel, but the weather and turns were perfect. By the way, this will be baby's 7th consecutive month of skiing / sliding and he isn't even 7 months old yet! We'll see if we can't keep the streak going.

Kids sure start young these days!!!!!!!!!

Strong work, Doober, Doober, Doober, and Doober!

Reply to this TR

july-1-2008-silver-peak-conditions-update
Zap
2008-07-01 15:51:41