Home > Trip Reports > November 27, 2003, Mt. Baker

November 27, 2003, Mt. Baker

11/27/03
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Gregg_C on 11/28/03 2:56am
Nice day to spend skiing.  Got up at 4:30 to check the weather and made a snap decision to head for Baker.  Forecast is calling for rising freezing level on Friday through Sunday.  Spouse is not very pleased with decision to ski on a "family day".  I patiently explain that I HAVE to go skiing because the conditions will turn.

Later that morning, latched on to a couple of guys heading for the slopes off of Table. Off of the knoll above the run I dig, and dig and dig.....seeking the crust layer that was twelve inches down six days ago.  Wow...it really dumped this week!  Eight feet down I find it on this heavy deposition slope.  Nice snowpack excluding the two inches of dense wind load twelve inches down.  The shovel compaction test and block release has me a bit uneasy so I opt for the moderate slope while the two young hotshots bomb down one of the steeper shutes on the ridge.  (My avy input had no affect on their route choice)  The snow is great--Medium density snow allowing for comfortable turns.  Not white smoke powder but we'll take it in November anytime.  

The young studs head for the lifts and Salmon Arm while I make another run before the snow shoeing, boot packing, dog trekking masses make a mess of my up track. ???

More fun runs off of Herman and Table up valley completed the (6,000 ft.) day.  Rob and Sonya from Seattle were nice enough to put in the up track and allow me to keep them company.  Best skiing was off of the north side of Table in the trees.  Light and deep snow. ;D

Quiet in the backcountry.  One other skier and two snow board post holers wallowing thier way up the north side of Table.  Those dudes were enthusiastic!  It took them three hours to travel a quarter mile and 500 ft. up.

Goble Goble....

PS  Taking wife out to dinner tonighto wash away my sins

Reply to this TR

november-27-2003-mt-baker
Gregg_C
2003-11-28 10:56:47