telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
09/21/14, 09:05 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 27-29, 2008 S. Sister via Pole Creek and Prouty Glacier
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 27-29, 2008 S. Sister via Pole Creek and Prouty Glacier  (Read 1372 times)
steve_f
5Member

June 27-29, 2008 S. Sister via Pole Creek and Prouty Glacier
« on: 07/01/08, 11:09 PM »

Why pole creek?  3 reasons.  One, because I didn't know how long of a walk it was going to be.  Two, I hadn't come in from the east before.  Finally, we had lofty plans of skiing at least the south and middle sisters, if not the north as well.

The trail 1.4 miles to the intersection was snow free.  Off trail was snow free, then patchy, then skinable starting at about 6500' up pole creek.  We spent a lot of energy trying to find the best way south, pretty much the tops of the south facing ridges above treeline are bare, but we didn't know until we came out that a little lower in elevation there was continous snow protected by some big stands of neat old hemlocks.

My brother and I made it to Camp Lake later than we expected, so we set up camp.  The partially thawed lake immediately started refreezing when the sun went down over the hills at around 7:30.  I had never seen surface ice cystals grow before then.  It was pretty cold Friday night.  We got up Saturday morning and got a late start towards S. Sister, no suprise to Telemon I'm sure.  We were either going to go up the north ridge, the prouty glacier, or wrap all the way around to the south side.  The north ridge looked the most direct, but the prouty glacier looked like we could ski the whole way.  The bergschrund at the south end of the glacer was barely open, easily passable.  The later timing was actually pretty good, the snow was soft enough to kick nice steps in and no crampons were needed.  There was a bit of rockfall, but nothing too bad.  The rest of the way was up the SE slope to the summit rim was straightforward.  The skiing down was really nice.  A little late, but not too bad considering how hot it was.  We started some surface sluffs down the 45 deg couloir, but otherwise it was a really fun route that I would do again.  Not sure how long it will be in, probably not long, but I don't really know since this was the first time I've ever seen that route.  We were able to ski all the way back to camp lake minus one 20' carry. 

Saturday night we were treated to a light show, but the thunder was really soft.  Must have been quite a ways off.  The temperature was really warm, and the wind blew hard.  Sunday we just headed home without even contemplating heading up middle sister. 

There was evidence of a big slide on the diller glacer on Middle Sister that I would guess went after that last snowfall then warm period.  Probably 1000' run with a crown at least a few hundred feet wide.  Other than that, it looked like a really nice slope to ski.

Final note:  Saw some nice tracks below middle sister on our way out Sunday.  Also saw a lot of mountaineers coming down on foot.  It brought back bad memories of walking down perfectly skiable snow.

* South_Sister_Prouty_Glacier.jpg (53.67 KB, 690x485 - viewed 300 times.)

* Middle_and_North_Sister.jpg (96.33 KB, 780x518 - viewed 302 times.)

* Middle_Sister_From_Camp_Lake.jpg (95.16 KB, 720x478 - viewed 292 times.)
« Last Edit: 07/01/08, 11:13 PM by Slo-Steve » Logged
pin!head

Re: June 27-29, 2008 S. Sister via Pole Creek and Prouty Glacier
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/09, 07:22 AM »

GReat TR.

We were up a few days before you and camped 400' above you under the cliffs at the bottom of the SE.R.MS.  That is the route the Avy was on....not on the Diller.  THe diller is the steep chute to lookers right that ends in a basin.

Nice pics.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.