Home > Trip Reports > June 29, Chair Peak Basin

June 29, Chair Peak Basin

6/15/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by lordhedgie on 6/29/08 1:51pm
We decided to give Greg L a birthday present involving snow, so we drove up the Snoqualmie Pass today.  The three of us parked at the Source Lake parking lot at 0730, finding a dozen other cars already parked.  We jumped from rock to rock to cross a small stream that now separates the parking lot from the trail, but other than that it's a ski-in ski-out delux parking lot.

The path up to Source Lake can still be done without taking off skis, but its days are numbered.  I don't think it will be skiable next weekend without carrying skis over at least a couple of spots.  As it was we had to leave the trail several times to stay on snow.  Once past Source Lake, the snow is outstanding and coverage remains good, although pine debris continues to litter most of the slopes.

We headed up Chair Peak Basin until deteriorating snow conditions told us to ski now before things got worse.  The spring corn was outstanding, and there was much w00ting and hollering.  The highlight of the descent was a daring and brave rescue of one of our own caught in a crevasse.  Okay, so we just pulled him out when he got stuck in a moat under a cliff band, but I did snap a great action shot during the fall.  Yes, he's headed right at high speed, and no, he wasn't hurt at all.

We then headed up Pineapple Pass, again not reaching the top before turning around.  The snow wasn't nearly as good on the east-facing slopes, something I noticed last week as well.  Still, Jeff redeemed himself with some professional looking turns, and again, much fun was had.

The route back from Source Lake is sketchy at best.  Travel along the N Fork Snoq River involves a fair amount of up&down, but the heavy layer of pine needles eliminates the need for skins.  The more traditional higher route is questionable in places, and within a few days will probably be unskiable.

Complete photo set: http://lordhedgehog.hedgie.com/Photos/Ski/29June2008/index.html
So...this is the new "Birthday Tour"?  Great pictures. 

Happy Birthday, Greg!

Well, now, we don't want to remove the greatness of the Classic "B'Day Tour" near Washington Pass, as that one is another excellent route. (Just a might long and bushwhackey for this time of year.) However, when someone who celebrates their birthday on the last day of June, and still finds the ability to ski car-to-car from the Alpental parking lot, I call that a damn fine present! To top it off, both the company on the tour and the snow conditions were SUPERIOR. Thanks Jim and Jeff for a great 47th present!!

Greg & Jim,

Thanks for a great trip. The crash course in debris skiing was very enlightening. I hope you both found the waterfall crevasse rescue as educational and entertaining as I did. The picture is definitely among my favorite ski action photos.

Reply to this TR

june-29-chair-peak-basin
lordhedgie
2008-06-29 20:51:02