telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/19/14, 01:02 PM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 27, 2008, Mt Rainier, Glacier Vista kidspedition
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 27, 2008, Mt Rainier, Glacier Vista kidspedition  (Read 2496 times)
Lowell_Skoog

June 27, 2008, Mt Rainier, Glacier Vista kidspedition
« on: 06/29/08, 01:17 PM »

Now that school is out, kids have more free time and parents have less.† You know what I mean.† On Friday, my son Tom's day camp was cancelled and I was at a breakpoint at work, so I decided to take him skiing at Paradise.† We breezed out of Seattle and arrived at Paradise a little after 10 a.m.† (Is it just me or have high gas prices started to reduce road congestion?)

A week ago Tom hiked up a snowy peak with my wife and expressed interest in learning how to use an ice axe for self-arrest.† I decided to combine ice axe practice with a little skiing during this trip.

We hiked on foot from Paradise to Glacier Vista, where the trail switches back up the west flank of Panorama Point.† I carried Tom's ski boots and both our pairs of skis.† Concerned about him using an ice axe for the first time, I covered the adze of one of my axes with rubber and duct tape so he wouldn't cut himself.

It was a beautiful day for a picnic but whenever the breeze died, it was hot!† After lunch overlooking the Nisqually Glacier, we went through the basics of walking with an ice axe and arresting from both a head-up and head-down position.† I was pleased with how quickly Tom (age 11) seemed to pick up the techniques and I'll be more comfortable taking him on snow hikes now.

Around 3:30 p.m.†we swapped hiking boots for ski boots and descended back to Paradise.† The snow was soft and sticky but it still beats walking.† Let's hear it for summer!

« Last Edit: 06/29/08, 05:52 PM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
Stugie

Re: June 27, 2008, Mt Rainier, Glacier Vista kidspedition
« Reply #1 on: 06/29/08, 01:21 PM »

That's a perfect arrest!  Looks like the diagram right out of the mountaineer's guide!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 06/29/08, 01:30 PM »

Nice Lowell -- neat to see the pics of the trip you told me about.  Tom's looking solid.
Scottk

« Reply #3 on: 06/29/08, 02:39 PM »

We past you just below Glacier Vista on our way down from FF.  I didn't realize it was you and your son until we were past.  It's great to see a youngster showing such enthusiasm for picking up mountaineering skills.  You must be doing a good job managing his experiences so he keeps such a positive attitude.
Alan Brunelle

« Reply #4 on: 06/29/08, 09:09 PM »

I am glad you posted on the topic.  It looked like a fun way to learn a good skill.  From my perspective, I will now be able to show my son your post and what you did with your 11-year old and he will connect much better than if I just made him do it.

Earlier this week, my son (also 11) and I backed off of Sauk Mtn. partly because of the steep snow.  I am not so sure had he been practiced in self arrest we would have gone on, because there was rockfall going on, but the time will come.

I can think of taking my son on a trip out on Ptarmigan Arm, with the hope of doing Coleman Pinnacle last year and that nasty little patch of snow just after the Chain Lakes trail junction stopped us cold.  This is something that I have done a half dozen times and is the only sketchy part of the trip, but I would not do it with him.  It is just too steep, with no run out and a bunch of rock rubble at the bottom.  Ice Axe arrest would have been a great tool in that case, because once by that we would have been free to travel for miles!  On the other hand we camped nearby and the forecast good weather failed us and we were outta there the next morning anyway.

The next thing is to teach him to travel on steep snow, which he has done a little with the Ramer claws, which work well if the snow is not too hard.

Alan
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #5 on: 06/29/08, 09:22 PM »

Hi Alan,

I should have replied earlier that I thought you made a very good decision on Sauk Mountain. The trail zig-zags up a very steep slope and it's serious business when snow covered.

I'm quite conservative with my son and we've only started doing snow hikes this year. Even though he's gaining some ice axe skills, I'll be very careful about where we go. If we were to cross a slope where he really needed those skills to avoid hurting himself in a slip, I think I would short-rope him.

We're feeling our way gradually on this. If he expresses a lot of interest in snow hikes/climbs I'm going to have to buy him some better boots. The boots he has now are really just intended for hiking.
Joedabaker

« Reply #6 on: 06/29/08, 10:12 PM »

If he expresses a lot of interest in snow hikes/climbs I'm going to have to buy him some better boots.

I would be surprised if he didn't take an interest, but nice to see parents allowing their kids a choice. They discover what they like and It makes it easier to enjoy in the long run.
Great action shots.
Scotsman

« Reply #7 on: 06/30/08, 08:39 AM »

Beware Lowell,
                        when they get older ( like Stewie) they start "borrowing " your gear.  Wink
Great shots of the arrest sequence.

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
Alan Brunelle

« Reply #8 on: 06/30/08, 09:03 AM »

Lowell,

I think that it can be hard for adults to translate what they have as confidence in their ability gained from years of experience vs. a kid's apparent confidence in such situations coming about because of their lack of experience.† That is, most kids I believe may not naturally understand the consequences of a fall on steep snow, nor an understanding of how fast they can accelerate and how difficult it can be to stop.† I need to continually remind myself of that when I am out with Nick.† Just as important is to train him and get him the experience through positive situations, such as you did with Tom.† It would also do me some good to review the techniques as well at the same time.† We have done some, but need lots more.

I am trying to find routes this year where we do not necessarily avoid steep snow, but if we do travel on steep sections, a slip would take a fallen hiker/skier into safer terrain rather than a terrain trap.† Luckily there are lots of those around here.† We may not venture back to Sauk.† As you know, the trail up high traverses a very steep heather/short willow slope, which in itself makes for an interesting arrest situation.† Those willow stems are super slippery even on a dry day!† On the other hand, we have done this as a summer hike before...† The challenge is finding an exciting trip that doesn't require 4hr drives!

One point for those who would want to go up Sauk is that the trail does have holes and slumps from winter wear, water saturation and snow creep/slides.† It is quite soft in places and a slip could occur.† It occurred to me on Thursday that the trail cutting this slope seems to have created some damage by its presence.† It must require a lot of maintenance each year.

Alan

« Last Edit: 06/30/08, 09:28 AM by BigSnow » Logged
telemack

« Reply #9 on: 07/01/08, 09:56 PM »

Beware Lowell,
† † † † † † † † † † † † when they get older ( like Stewie) they start "borrowing " your gear.† Wink

Yeah, but then they start breaking trail for us....

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Alan Brunelle

« Reply #10 on: 07/01/08, 10:06 PM »

Yeah, but then they start breaking trail for us....

Yeah right† Wink

He's just starting to mow the lawn now, but he wants money for that!  He'd probably want to get paid for breaking trail.

Alan
« Last Edit: 07/01/08, 10:09 PM by BigSnow » Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.