Home > Trip Reports > June 28, Summerland to Fryingpan and Whitman Crest

June 28, Summerland to Fryingpan and Whitman Crest

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jim Oker on 6/28/08 5:17pm
Great snow today, especially up higher where it has a smooth surface, is very firm and carvable and fast corn. Down lower toward Summerland it was bumpier, but still very fun skiing down to the Fryingpan footbridge. The consolidation was a nice contrast to two weeks ago on the Interglacier, but at a cost of a lot more hiking with skis on back than Randy had on his tour to Summerland two weeks ago - just a few longer snow stretches and lots of dirt until you get to the footbridge across Fryingpan creek (when we were trudging throgh the washouts and avy debris on the way to Interglacier, he was able to ski from the car...).

What a nice day! Multiple parties out for a climb of little Tahoma. I have no desire after seeing the rock on the Whitman crest and talking to folks from one climbing party.
we were also there on friday and had a blast up there- beautiful views, good skiing, and lots of ski carrying. Our tracks were the ones you may have seen in the gully above fryingpan creek before you exit the woods and before the bridge- not so much fun crossing the stream without a bridge to walk over but the skiing was well worth it in the gully as the lower summerland area was mushy and getting pretty cupped out.

Chris

a group of us had our annual spring ski camp at Summerland last weekend, June 20-22. I love skiing up there. Having the shelter available for cooking and hanging out is a huge plus. And this year, being able to get the skis off the pack and skinning nearly continuous snow from 4300', made the haul in a real pleasure. Just amazing coverage in the woods.

author=Jim Oker link=topic=10495.msg42514#msg42514 date=1214727473]
Multiple parties out for a climb of little Tahoma. I have no desire after seeing the rock on the Whitman crest and talking to folks from one climbing party.

The easiest route up Little Tahoma actually is quite solid, and especially nice in early season like now when the snow goes nearly to the summit!

The guided party of 11 we spoke with at the end of the day must have done a different route - they described a fair scramble up a bit of a bowling alley with lots of party-induced rockfall (which was easy to visualize from our choss-perch on the Whitman Crest). I'll have to head up there with you sometime!

Reply to this TR

june-28-summerland-to-fryingpan-and-whitman-crest
Jim Oker
2008-06-29 00:17:53