Home > Trip Reports > June 28, 2008, Sticking to the Tatoosh

June 28, 2008, Sticking to the Tatoosh

6/28/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/28/08 1:48pm
Being not ready to hike for turns yet and gambling on cooler north facing slopes over Tatoosh way We hit pay dirt (pay snow?). Early start 530 in Sumner put us in position to take a 1000' run down the south side of Castle saddle .Good creamy corn a little hot on the boot out.  Another partial run down put us in positon to boot up Foss peak. Lunch on top of Foss above a thin ribbon of snow . From that vantage point Unicorn Saddle is still doable totally on skis start to finish. Finally had great ski down sunbeam drainage to Lake Louise bearing far east in the drainage. Lots of waterfalls for scenery. A real hot short walk back up to Reflection lake. finito at 130 pm
I'm inspired to head south, in spite of the high fuel cost.  Another nice trip, it sounds like.  I think you're going to know every rock and tree around Foss Peak, and probably make up nicknames for them.

When are you guys going to do the Sunrise trip and barbecue?  Did I miss it?  If not, I'll bring the brats.  Cheers!

Rusty, A bunch of Tacoma skiers are planning on July 4th at Sunrise. Not sure if that coincides with Chutefest .Be fun if it does but what the hey, than you could go twice!

Robie & Andy,

Thanks for another great Stickman tour of the Tatoosh.

Looking forward to the 4th.

Reply to this TR

june-28-2008-sticking-to-the-tatoosh
Robie
2008-06-28 20:48:59