Home > Forum > fritschi heel lock problems?

fritschi heel lock problems?

• ajjenkin
  • [ajjenkin]
More
25 Nov 2003 07:26 #168634 by ajjenkin
fritschi heel lock problems? was created by ajjenkin
I've been having trouble with my fritschi diamir 2 heel lock-down mechanism. When the heel is locked down (and while skiing in deep snow), it seems snow can build up under the lock-down lever and release my heel. This has happened maybe 5 times in two years, and once last weekend up at Paradise. A quick and dirty solution might be to put a screw into my skis behind the heel piece (not screwing it all the way in), and using a piece of cordage wrapped around the screw and heel piece to hold it down better. Of course this adds more time/hassel to transistions, but it may do the trick. Anyone out there have this problem and/or tried to fix it? Looks like the diamir 3 uses the same heel piece.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
25 Nov 2003 11:03 #168640 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?
Maybe the heel piece is getting loose, so it's easier to pop up? No problems with my Diamir 3s so far...

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
25 Nov 2003 14:59 #168641 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?
I had the heel piece of my Titanal 3's come free once last year during one of my many falls. Not sure whether it caused the fall, but the end result was that ski's tip was buried vertically to the boot in heavy mank. Leaving my knee twisted to the point of near destruction. I couldn't move without putting further strain on the knee joint ???. Fortunately a friend nearby was able to come over and pull my ski out, thus freeing me. No problems since, but I know they're not perfect.<br><br>I was hoping to put a pair of Naxos on this year and use them as a dual area/bc binding, but the early word is that they aren't pristine in their design either. Supposedly Naxo had addressed the self-releasing heal lock problem of the Fritschis and they may have. What I've heard is that the Naxos have too much "play" in ski mode.<br><br>Maybe I should just learn tele and solve the technology problem once and for all.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
25 Nov 2003 16:36 #168643 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?
Play with someone else's Diamirs and see if the heel lever has the same resistance as yours. <br><br>I believe my heel levers have come up during crashes.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
25 Nov 2003 17:28 #168644 by Paul Belitz
As far as rando bindings go, I'd agree that the ideal binding doesn't exist. I wonder if the plate binding concept itself is flawed. For ultimate downhill performance a light alpine binding the accommodates AT boots would be ideal. Building tourability into the system would require some removable part, something like a cable to hold the boot against the toepiece. We'll have to see what designers come up with. I hope that they will try something radically different from plate bindings sometime soon.

• ajjenkin
  • [ajjenkin]
More
26 Nov 2003 06:15 #168645 by ajjenkin
Replied by ajjenkin on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?
Thanks for the replies...at least I'm not the only one having these issues. Seems like a little re-design of the diamirs may be in order. A little extra thought put into a way to actually make the lever lock, instead of just relying on notches (friction) would be nice. Spring-loaded set-pins? I'm going to try the cordage fix for now. I'll let you all know if it works and post a pic if it does the trick.

• ajjenkin
  • [ajjenkin]
More
28 Jan 2004 01:55 #168820 by ajjenkin
I'm reviving this one because my Diamir's finally died on Monday while skiing at Alpental (still smiling by the way). I had no problems while skinning/skiing, but just this morning I gave my skis a quick once over to check for edge/base problems and if my retro-fit work on my dying bindings was holding up. I was very disapointed to see that the metal (think it is titanium) that holds the toe-piece to the ski was cracked near the rear set of screws that holds it to the ski. Both sides too! Oh great! I just spent 3 hours fixing other problems with these things a few weeks ago, and now they just have to be replaced. A call to BD is coming, so maybe I can include them in the package when I send them my Lasers to get their buckle fixed. Anyway, for those of you out there with Naxos, Fritchi Freerides, Fritchi 3's, Silverettas...what do you think? I'm not really concerned about weight. I want longevity. Give me the dirt! What would you recomend?<br><br>Wish I had my digi cam back to show you all what I did to my Diamir's. I re-tapped two different holes in the center rail and sunk fatter screws into them. These screws had sheared and need to be replaced. They were the screws that held the heel piece in place on the rail, and the screws that hold the toe-pieces' DIN mechanism into the rail - pretty important screws! I also noticed that the rail is held into the toepiece by two pins. These pins were slowly working their way out. I was able to work them out by grabbing them with a pair of needle nose. This allowed me to pull the rail out of the toepiece. I was then shocked to discover that the only force holding the pins into the holes in the center rail is the tension created by the toepiece DIN mechanism (shear force on the pins from a spring). I replaced these pins with a bolt, two washers, and a nylon lock nut. They've been bomber since then - waste of time though.

More
28 Jan 2004 03:48 #168821 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?
Seeing you already own the Scarpa Lasers, you might consider the Dynafit Tourlite Tech bindings. Although the binding may appear "light", I have been using them for over 7 years on differrent skis and have had no problems. I'm 6'3", 210 lb and used them on numerous week long ski traverses carrying a 50 lb pack and never had any problems. Dynafit had problems with the TriStep toepiece and replaced it with the Comfort toepiece this year. The Toulite Tech model has remained essentially unchanged for years . It seems to be the binding"of choice" in the Randonee Rally's.<br><br>Zap

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
28 Jan 2004 06:01 - 28 Jan 2004 06:02 #168823 by Paul Belitz
I've heard several reports of Naxos breaking, toepiece, heelpiece, etc. Check here for a very current thread. No holy grail yet.

More
28 Jan 2004 06:50 #168824 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?
I'll second Zap's suggestion.<br>I wore out two sets of Fritschi's. When returning the second set for "adjustment" I asked the shop tech which AT bindings had the fewest problems. The answer was the dynafits by a very large margin. Five years later I haven't even seen any indications of wear showing up, with 40 - 50 days per year of use. And like Zap, I'm no lightweight, either.

• ajjenkin
  • [ajjenkin]
More
28 Jan 2004 14:10 #168825 by ajjenkin
Well, after a few calls between BD customer service and the local shop, I have a set of Freerides. I needed something quick for a trip starting tomorrow, and they'll slide right into the existing holes in my skis (plus the price was right due to BD's wonderfully helpful,and understanding customer service reps). Seriously, they've always been great to deal with. While picking up my bindings I did take a good long look at the Naxos and discussed pros/cons with a shop guy. I had read the cascadeclimbers.com thread and Lou's pages about the Naxos before I went in there. Sure enough, the toepiece seems fragile. It is all plastic and narrow in one spot, plus there was a lot of play in the linkage arms. They seem to have a great platform to build from though. Should see the Naxo II's anytime soon I guess...thanks for your replies. When I get my "light" set-up (someday) I will definately go with the Dynafits - you guys are the best gear reviewers around.

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
29 Jan 2004 17:26 #168835 by AlpineRose
Replied by AlpineRose on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?
I'll third Ron J's suggestion. Just get Dynafit bindings and be done with it. Unless, of course, you enjoy messing with bindings.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
30 Jan 2004 10:04 #168839 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: fritschi heel lock problems?

As far as rando bindings go, I'd agree that the ideal binding doesn't exist...<br> I hope that they will try something radically different from plate bindings sometime soon.  

<br><br>I have found what I consider to be an ideal binding, with no plate at all. It looks just like this:<br> <br>