Home > Forum > Dynafit Tri-Step binding

Dynafit Tri-Step binding

• BrentH
  • [BrentH]
More
24 Nov 2003 14:35 - 24 Nov 2003 14:42 #168629 by BrentH
Dynafit Tri-Step binding was created by BrentH
I noticed that Dynafit recently stopped marketing their Tri-Step model. I used this binding for two years (~100 days). I found that the binding would release on its own, in walk mode, typically on hard, steep slopes with the skis on edge. Not places one wants to walk/kick off a ski! Telemark-Pyrenees send me two 'fixes' (a re-designed plastic plug for the toe piece and last year a set of re-designed toe pieces). Neither fix worked.<br><br>Dynafit is now marketing a 'new' binding called the 'Comfort'. It's not new. It's just a combination of the Tri-Step heel piece (a good design, I think) with the TLT toe piece (Bomber. I know, I've been using the TLT binding that long). Because it has been discontinued retailers may be offering Tri-Step bindings at savings. Steer clear of it.<br><br>I asked Telemark-Pyrenees to send me a set of Comfort toe pieces as the Tri-Steps were defective. They declined, but did offer to sell them to me for $100. I've contacted the U.S. Dynafit representative (Life-Link). I've returned my Tri-Step toe pieces to Life-Link to be 'evaluated'. Life-Link says they'll be replaced if found defective. I'll let you all know what happens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
24 Nov 2003 20:52 #168631 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding
I have the tri-step as well, I believe the model from the second year (last year?). I have not experienced the kind of releases that you describe. Thankfully not even once that I can recall. I have found them to be totally bomber to be honest but I have heard stories of people that had the same problem. I thought it was only the first year of the binding, which I assume is the model you have.<br><br>Like I said for me the toepice works great, the only minor thing being that I need to use my pole to crank it into lock mode but that's not too bad really.

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
25 Nov 2003 04:57 #168632 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding
I have the second year Tri-steps. I had the unwanted release problem before I had it firmly explained to me that I needed to get ALL of the snow out from under the toe piece so that the lock will firmly engage. No trouble since.

More
25 Nov 2003 06:17 #168633 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding
My 2nd gen. Tri-Steps are now reliable after I "wore in" the locking mechanism by cycling it forcefully over and over (and lubing it well during the process) until the locking lever can be raised COMPLETLY up into the tour mode without reefing on it with a ski pole.

More
25 Nov 2003 09:40 #168638 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding
I have last years Tri-Steps as well...they definitely work better than the first year's model, but I've still had a handful of pre-releases while skinning (almost always the result of the dreaded packed snow under the toe plate). <br>I was glad to see that Dynafit gave up on the Tri-Step toepiece and have done what I'm sure many were hoping for...making a binding that combines the benefits of both the original and tri-step...too bad they won't issue a recall and allow all of us to pick up new Comfort toe bindings if we want them.<br><br><br>

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
25 Nov 2003 11:01 #168639 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding

I have the tri-step as well, I believe the model from the second year (last year?).  I have not experienced the kind of releases that you describe.  Thankfully not even once that I can recall.  I have found them to be totally bomber to be honest but I have heard stories of people that had the same problem.  I thought it  was only the first year of the binding, which I assume is the model you have.<br><br>Like I said for me the toepice works great, the only minor thing being that I need to use my pole to crank it into lock mode but that's not too bad really.

<br><br>Didn't you pop out while skiing last Sunday? ;)

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
26 Nov 2003 07:43 #168646 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding
Did I? Don't really recall.... But generally the only time I pop out is if I forget or fail to lock it into tour mode. Thankfully the kind of annoying release that BrentH describes does not happen to me.

• BrentH
  • [BrentH]
More
05 Dec 2003 15:56 #168675 by BrentH
Replied by BrentH on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding
Life-Link, the USA Dynafit Representative, came through for me. They shipped me a set of the newly-released Comfort toepieces, no charge. I dealt with John M. Scott, Executive Vice-President, Life-Link, 1240 Huff Lane, P.O. Box 2913, Jackson, WY 83001. Tel: 800-443-8620 FAX 307-739-1961. I've mounted them and will let you all know whether Dynafit has fixed the problem I and others experienced with the Tri-Step binding releasing in walk mode.

• BrentH
  • [BrentH]
More
07 Dec 2003 13:05 #168684 by BrentH
Replied by BrentH on topic Re: Dynafit Tri-Step binding
I put 8000 vf, 12 miles on my new Dynafit Comfort toe pieces this weekend. They worked all right, but the real test will come when I'm skinning up a steep, icy hard slope, putting the skis on edge. No opportunity for that sort of testing this weekend. The snow was just too nice. ;)