Home > Trip Reports > June 23, 2008, Alpental Ascent Record - 15 Minutes

June 23, 2008, Alpental Ascent Record - 15 Minutes

6/23/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 6/23/08 2:32pm
It started like any other day for a retiree.  Jill and I were at the Klipchuck campground west of Mazama with Hillary and Dale.  We drove west back to the Blue Lake trailhead with thoughts of skinning through the trees, touring up the avy path, and skiing around Blue Lake.  We all remembered how unfriendly the ascent through the trees was yesterday and decided €“ nahhh.   I suggested we drive the eastern route back to Seattle and stop by Alpental for a lookseeee.   I had forgotten how beautiful it is in the Methow with the green lush irrigated fields and wildflowers.

We arrived at Alpental about 3:30pm.  There was little excitement in the group about skiing here, and Hillary and Dale decided to head home.  I took out the binoculars and watched some kids sliding near Sessel.  I spotted a thin snow finger behind the kids that linked to the continuous snow pack about half way up Sessel.  Jill passed on the opportunity to ski, but I put on the skins and SKI CRAMPONS (important point), started the stopwatch and vert meter, and began to skin up.  I had to use a serpentine route to stay on snow in the beginning, then two (2) veggie belays to ascend the narrow snow finger and a traverse to join the continuous snow pack. 

Once on the continuous snow pack, I looked at my watch and thought, WOW, I€™m really moving.  Todays, THE DAY, I€™m going to do an €œAmar/Joedabaker/Lowell€¦€ trip!   I€™m going to establish the Alpental Ascent record.  From that point on, I was a man on a mission.  I put on the sweatband, took a sip of nectar and a bite of energy bar and zip, I€™m moving.  Please note I€™m using ski crampons so my glide factor is zero, yet I€™m not deterred. The vertical is accumulating and bammm - the watch reads 1010vf and 40minutes.   I immediately radio Jill who is waiting in the campervan and she validates the time.   How does 40 minutes become 15 minutes?  It€™s simple:

40 minutes
  -5 minutes €“ serpentine lower route
  -5 minutes €“ two (2) veggie belays
-15 minutes €“ age handicap for a 61.5 year old
15 minutes ascent record for 1010vf   ::)

Other important items:
     This record is €œclean€ - I€™m drug free.   A urine test would vouch for it (plus my PSA test).   WA matrimonial association validation provided by Jill (unbiased, of course).

I have decided to retire while my record is intact.  I am not available for a rematch.  I hope you understand my desire to pursue other €œpersonal interests€.  I would also like to thank my sponsors.  But most importantly, I want to thank Jill for her continued support.  Love ya babe.
Huzzah! Truly you have raised the bar.

I love the math, Man!  If you anchored to a marmot, would it be a carne belay?  It's great to challenge yourself, though, and thanks for the inspiration.
See you up there.
Rusty Knees

Even though the ski area is melted out at the base now, the backcountry is still connected.  Skied the summit bowl on Chair Peak down to the car yesterday evening.  Although the last little stretch before the parking lot will probably be melted by this weekend.

author=JPH link=topic=10448.msg42257#msg42257 date=1214320371]
Even though the ski area is melted out at the base now, the backcountry is still connected. 

I want a tee shirt made that says that!
TAY-
The ski area is melted out, but the backcounty is still connected.

Nice trip Zap,
I am very proud of your accomplishment, you may win a medal in the Senior Winter Games.
Is there a mathematical adjustment to the JOM (joy o Meter) for Seniors?
I didn't see your beacon and shovel, must have taken it off for the picture?  :D
Joe

That's Rad.  Good job, Zap.  If only your TR had footnotes.

Truly an amazing feat Zap! ;) 

I headed up to the top of Alpental after work this evening (June 24th) via Edelweiss Bowl and was pleasantly surprised to find upper Nash still in (with a short ~15-ft easy downclimb/hike at the entrance). Nice to be rewarded with spectacular late evening corn at Alpental in the first week of summer!  The moguls are still there, but quite subdued.  A bit more suncupped on lower International, but fun turns all the way back to Sessel.  With a little creativity, kept the skis on for the whole trip (except the down-climb to Nash) though there were a couple short (less than 3-ft long) bare sections on Sessel.  Those veggie belays were helpful for balance with kick turns in the tight trees concealing the continuous finger of snow down to the parking lot.  Sessel is quickly becoming a patchwork ski, but still good snow cover on the upper mountain (generally about 4-ft+).

Reply to this TR

june-23-2008-alpental-ascent-record-15-minutes
Zap
2008-06-23 21:32:52