Seattle PI article

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Jun 2008 20:04 #182145 by Scotsman
Seattle PI article was created by Scotsman
I just read a Seattle PI article about the search and although the reporter got most of it right, there are some mistakes that I want clarify.

She contacted me this afternoon after being given my contact info from another poster. She was polite and asked many questions that I tried to answer. I told her to read the thread and tried to stress what I thought important, namely the heroic efforts of David and Megan. She wanted to send a photographer to take my picture I declined. She wanted to use the photos on the thread and I told her Lowell and Joe would need to be contacted to get permission. She got in touch with Lowell and after speaking to Joe I gave her Joe's number.

In an e-mail Lowell sent me and copied to her we stressed she needed to read the thread and ensure accuracy. She replied she would.

To correct her report.
1) There where searches after they went missing and I believe members of Crystal patrol went out there as well as the heroic efforts by Dave and Megan and others. I didn't say there hadn't been any searches.

2) I did not call the Sheriff, Jen, the patroller called Paul of Crystal Patrol and he called the Sheriff. I did contact Devlin's parents from the ridge.

3) I do not remember telling her about the corner of the tent sticking out and although I think that the finders at first thought there was a tent, they where in bivvy bags with no tent.

4) I tried to stress that there was no leaders amongst the TAY group but a true collective effort and point her in the direction of the true heroics of David and Megan but I guess any future career aspirations as a White House Spokesman are now in jeopardy.

Most of the conversation was a rushed affair conducted at work and I apologize if any of the inaccuracies or spin she put on it offends anybody. In retrospect I regret taking her call and I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stugie
  • [stugelmeyer]
More
23 Jun 2008 20:20 - 23 Jun 2008 20:25 #182146 by Stugie

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Jun 2008 21:44 #182147 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Seattle PI article

I apologize if any of the inaccuracies or spin she put on it offends anybody. In retrospect I regret taking her call and I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Don't sweat it bro, it is nicely written, but it's rushed reporting.
The real story has many aspects and words may never do it justice. The essence of the real story is the feeling and timing. Like a perfectly played concierto, ups and downs and moments that can bring tears to your eyes.
Glad you were the spokesman for the crew.
But they needed to put your accent in writing to make it special.
Don't feel sorry-
Bottom line is there is closure for the family, it is better to deal with the pain again for a short while rather than eternally wondering what happened to the men.

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
23 Jun 2008 21:50 #182148 by Randy Beaver
Replied by Randy Beaver on topic Re: Seattle PI article

The real story has many aspects and words may never do it justice. The essence of the real story is the feeling and timing. Like a perfectly played concierto, ups and downs and moments that can bring tears to your eyes.
Glad you were the spokesman for the crew.
<B>But they needed to put your accent in writing to make it special.</B>

Preach it, Joe, preach it! ;) Amen

More
23 Jun 2008 22:18 #182149 by JW
Replied by JW on topic Re: Seattle PI article
yes a good article and though I didn't have a chance to respond to the other thread I feel lucky and proud to be apart of such a great community....thanks to all....Jerry

• jdclimber
  • [jdclimber]
More
23 Jun 2008 23:02 #182150 by jdclimber
Replied by jdclimber on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Indeed, not a bad article as media goes. Nothing in there needs to be taken back.
Seems as though the media folks just don't get it. For example Media today includes both Blogs and Message Boards, a Media person should know the difference, I mean, I know the difference between a TV newscast and a newspaper. More than once I have wondered if they could use a "free" advisor/consultant just to keep them from messing up the facts and the reality of the mountains and the world (things like basic laws of physics such as gravity seem to be mysterious at different times for some of the media folks).

I noticed the URL for T.A.Y. is listed in the article. There will no doubt be some new visitors in the next couple of days. While most will be friendly, a few will be looking to paint us as bunch of nuts (not in a good way). Let's refrain from giving them any ammo. The current "Mountains to die for" TR thread is pretty nuanced for the unrefined. They will be gone in a couple of days.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, not my intentions.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Jun 2008 07:59 - 24 Jun 2008 08:23 #182152 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Seattle PI article
You did great Chris -- it's hard to get any TV or newspaper interview to actually come off reflecting the facts 100%.  To my mind, all of the errors made were harmless and/or simplifications to make the story easier to read.  For us, it's unusual to be on the other side of the story, knowing all the facts.  Nice job.

And yeah, they really need the accent for dramatic effect.

EDIT -- just picked up a copy when I got my morning coffee. Nice article and she managed to scavenge a tiny picture of Chris' mug from one of the pics in the thread.

More
24 Jun 2008 09:20 #181663 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Re: Seattle PI article
I’ve always been appreciative of how precise yet respectful TAY posting come across to me.  It seems indicative of the thought behind your words and deeds.   So Scotsman, I’d second Joe’s feeling on being our spokesman. You did a great job! Given the short timelines for publishing, I thought the article was well written plus just nice to read positive news for a change.   

Also, thanks Lowell for taking that picture.  I always feel relieved upon reaching my car but that moment carried a sense of poignancy and reward far greater than any trip I’ve ever done for myself.  The fact that you captured our expressions, frozen in time, is something that I will always reflect upon. 

Andy

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
24 Jun 2008 09:58 #182155 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Seattle PI article
I think you did a great job, Chris! To me the article is really about the searchers and how you all came together to look for people you didn't know, but nonetheless with whom you felt a bond. That there were a few errors in the specifics is less important than the fact that the group's generosity came through in the reporting. In the type of interview you had with the reporter, one takes their chances, and I think things turned out well. I'm with Jerry - thankful of your efforts and proud to be associated with this community.

• Mikey Fleetfoot
  • [Mikey Fleetfoot]
More
24 Jun 2008 12:35 #182158 by Mikey Fleetfoot
Replied by Mikey Fleetfoot on topic Re: Seattle PI article
To the people that went to the mountains to help bring my friends home , i do not have the words to convey my thanks. i worked with 50 and 14 , Phil and kevin for a bit. phil was my lead driver, he was known as the man with 3 brains. phil helped me when i wanted to quit he took the time to talk to me and help me see my strength and weakness , This is a man that would take the ime to talk about any thing with you. I dont make friends easy and call even fewer brother . Thank you for bringing my brother home..

mikey

50 may you packages never be late

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Jun 2008 13:45 #182163 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Seattle PI article
This morning I was contacted by a producer for the Ron & Don show on 710 Kiro wanting to do a piece on the search. I told them I didn't want to do it ( they would never understand my accent anyway). I then spoke to Joedabaker and said I didn't want to make a unilateral decision for the group and asked him to consider going on.

The producer contacted Joe and he reluctantly agreed to go on and tell the story.
It is scheduled for today at 4.00PM, 710 KIRO.

More
24 Jun 2008 14:31 #182165 by russ
Replied by russ on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Maybe some little understanding of our sport and what drives us will come out of this. Either way I'm sure Joe will do a great job of representing the community.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Jun 2008 14:39 #182166 by Marcus
Joe will do us as well on air as you did on paper Chris. I may have to run home early to listen to the show.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Jun 2008 16:31 #182169 by Marcus
Wow... great job Joe. You held yourself together well and gave a great accounting for the day.

I managed to record it and I'll try to splice it into a file that can be emailed around, if anyone wants to hear it and didn't have a chance.

More
24 Jun 2008 16:34 #182170 by Nate R
Replied by Nate R on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Ditto, great interview Joe. You represented well. I know the media attention surrounding this wasn't expected, and everyone has done a wonderful job of sticking to the heart of it. And I loved your honesty when you said that you needed closure on it, too.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Jun 2008 16:35 #182171 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Well done Joe. Your compassion and empathy for the families came across so strongly.
I'm so proud you are my friend.

More
24 Jun 2008 16:40 #182172 by russ
Replied by russ on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Great job Joe! It's not easy to keep it together in front of the microphone and you did a awesome job.

• jdclimber
  • [jdclimber]
More
24 Jun 2008 16:50 #182173 by jdclimber
Replied by jdclimber on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Solid work Joe.
KIRO 710 has online mp3 archives from all shows. I'm sure this one will be no different and will be posted in the next couple of hours.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Jun 2008 17:09 #182175 by Marcus

Solid work Joe.
KIRO 710 has online mp3 archives from all shows. I'm sure this one will be no different and will be posted in the next couple of hours.

Heh -- that figures. Right after I finished stitching together a .wav...

More
24 Jun 2008 18:15 #182178 by Boot
Replied by Boot on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Love the Ron & Don Show and you were great on there Joe. It's a tough, short format, but you got er done. Nice job!

• Stugie
  • [stugelmeyer]
More
24 Jun 2008 18:20 #182179 by Stugie
Replied by Stugie on topic Re: Seattle PI article
It hasn't posted yet, but THIS is where you will be able to access the show when it does post.

More
24 Jun 2008 18:56 #182180 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Seattle PI article
I heard it, Joe...
You done us proud.

More
24 Jun 2008 19:03 #182182 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Great job with the interview Joe.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Jun 2008 19:59 #182183 by Larry_Trotter
Replied by Larry_Trotter on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Good Interview:
icestream.bonnint.net/seattle/kiro/2008/06/06242008195845.mp3

Very informative.  Thanks Joe, for taking that on.   May God be with you.

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
24 Jun 2008 21:51 #182185 by Randy Beaver
Replied by Randy Beaver on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Joe, thanks for taking on the "burden"of telling the story on the radio.

It's so strange, to me, that this story has blown up as much as it has.

Not that it's not a compelling one, but I guess I'm personally suprised that the sense of community we take for granted, or at least I feel, with other BC folks, is maybe not as evident in wider swaths of society? I don't know, that seems to be the element that is motivating a lot of the coverage. Anyway, regardless, way to tell it with the understated dignity it all deserves. I don't know what to say, but I hope to see you on a skin track soon ;)

PS You are a true gentleman, and that came through int he interview, which is not light praise. As I remember it there were a couple snow boarders there, however.....we'll be in front of your house with pitchforks!

• Stugie
  • [stugelmeyer]
More
24 Jun 2008 21:56 #182186 by Stugie
Replied by Stugie on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Our pay-attention-to-detail minds and a newscaster's "tell the juice" mentality can be a straining process.

Joe, you did well and showed utmost respect to the families and friends.  Your fellow bc brothers and sisters are proud of you for taking that on.

Go get some turns! ;)

• James Wells
  • [Travertine]
More
24 Jun 2008 22:15 #182187 by James Wells
Replied by James Wells on topic Re: Seattle PI article

... I guess I'm personally suprised that the sense of community we take for granted, or at least I feel, with other BC folks,  is maybe not as evident in wider swaths of society?

There is a systematic phenomena at work. Where the crowds are fewer, and it takes effort to get there, the community is stronger.

When I lived in Tennessee, I would often go to the Obed on the spur of the moment (basically the moment that work was some semblance of done), expecting I would hook up with someone to climb with. The very best days for this were weekdays with marginal weather - I would run into one party and they would immediately invite me to climb with them, no matter who they were or where they were from. On a nice weather weekend day, hundreds of people would be at the exact same place, and it would take a dozen asks to find someone to trade leads.

The exact same snowy hillside served by a lift transforms in this manner, depending on whether or not the lifts are running. Beyond the lifts, it generally stays good, although the same crowd phenomena can occur out there as well.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
25 Jun 2008 06:22 #182190 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Heard the broadcast and just wanted to add another voice saying nice job Joe. You did very well.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Jun 2008 18:03 #182198 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Thanks to all of you who have shared kind comments and supported me.
I was very nervous as you probably could tell in my voice, also a little concerned that the questions could float to something more uncomfortable.
I am comfortable to say that my emotions were up and down and I was not quite sure if I would be able to hold it together to explain the story.
I was checking my emails, reading Russ and Marcus online support in the waiting room and Justin PM'ed me right before I was to go on the show, your show of support helped me get it together enough to see it through.
I talked to Scotsman right afterward and it comforted me to know the public did not have to suffer long.
I was so focused to not say anything to offend the families and friends feelings and try to focus on the truth of the recovery including the efforts of the volunteers.
Only a couple items on my list that I brought in were spoken.
Don caught me a little off guard when he had the article from the Stranger and went into my personal experience with the missing snowboarders. Nice research by them.
And from there...time was to short to really get the experience out.
Never in my wildest dreams had I expected when I got up that morning 11 hours later I would be sitting 2 feet away from Captain Keith from the "The Most Dangerous Catch" on the Ron and Don show.
Captain was really cool as he is/was a backcountry skier in Alaska, so he could relate to the experience.
Once again a special thanks to the Crystal Mountain ski patrol, they did their share of work in the effort and were not in the PI article, but should have been included.

Once again-All of you thanks for the kind words and encouragement before and after the show!

Joe

• []
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jun 2008 18:08 #182210 by 0
Replied by 0 on topic Re: Seattle PI article
Some disturbing comments in the Seattle PI article from former SAR members. Interesting in their perception of the unacceptable risk that anyone skiing in the backcountry take.