Home > Trip Reports > 08, June 22, Mt Adams SW Chutes

08, June 22, Mt Adams SW Chutes

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by bobS on 6/23/08 4:58am
Arriving at the end of the road at midnight we took a moderate start and hiked the 3.5 miles from just below Morrison Creek CG to Cold Springs. It looks like all the logs have been cut out but there is still a lot of snow on the road, up to 3€™ deep in places.
From Cold Springs we skinned east of Crescent Glacier with only one or two short rock stretches above the South Bute. Thin high clouds kept things cool while the low clouds obscured all but the crater rim of St Helens. Skies cleared around noon, although things remained pretty firm as we ascended from Lunch Counter to Piker€™s. Ross opted to boot much and I skinned adding ski crampons near the top. The slightly west aspects were still pretty firm while just a few degrees east snow was softening. Foregoing the summit, we scouted the Chutes and the top was still too firm so we dug in a little to get out of the wind and had a leisurely snack enjoying the spectacular views over the Mazama & Klickitat glaciers.
The top was still firm when we got into the chutes around 2pm and we opted for the straight wide line of the middle chute. Snow softened nicely as we descended and experienced the full spectrum of snow from chattery firmness at the top to 4€ corn at the bottom with much perfect corn between on this seemingly endless fall line run. Even the basin below wasn€™t slushy. Here we considered our options: Traverse back towards Cold Springs and the Road, or B-Line it down Morrison Creek drainage to Morrison Creek CG and the car. Figuring that if the road was blocked there would be enough snow to ski pretty close we opted for the latter. I followed as Ross wove a very nimble & aesthetic line through the woods and down the creek. Dodging trees & swooping from banks to bank shooting countless snow bridges over the rushing creek. The bridges got progressively thinner and sketchier as we descended and I was sure glad not to be in front! About a ¼ mile from the road it was flat and we were running out of snow so we booted the rest of the way through the logs and brush and came out on the road about ¼ mile above the car and cache of cold brews buried in the snow. The run of the day totaled slightly over 7,000€™ of ski descent.
In the days of "Yore " we used to say  Bitchin!
Now more correctly Awsome !
Thanks .

Nice job on the TR and great pictures.  I've been eyeing the chutes for a couple of years, now.  That first picture makes me think I'd need to fill up a blue bag before dropping in on hard snow, though. ;D

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=10438.msg42246#msg42246 date=1214287829]
I've been eyeing the chutes for a couple of years, now.

They're rad. Go ski 'em.

Direct sunhit happens ~2:30-3:30. If the snow's not to your liking, just linger on Piker's Peak (but not too long). Rockfall increases later in the day.

Nice report bobs. We are heading up there this weekend, along with many others I would guess.

Were you able to skin from where you parked up to Cold Springs? How long did it take to get to the trailhead?

Thanks for the info!

[/Were you able to skin from where you parked up to Cold Springs?]

We hiked in running shoes to Cold Springs. By this weekend the road may be open all the way or at least to Morrison Creek Camp Ground.
Given temps if your heading back to Morrison Creek I would definitely recommend taking the trail as opposed to the Creek "route" in the TR above.
Also worth noting for future trips are the wide slabs released near the bottom where the run rolls over and steepens slightly in the center & lower left of photo. Chutes top right.
The ski is a blast: "bitchen, awesome, rad" all apply. ("huge" too) :) Have fun!

Nice to know that the lower bit slid. Thanks.

(Also nice to see that my tracks go right down the stuff that didn't slide.... )

Hi Bob,
I ran into you and Ross at the top of Piker's Peak.  Glad to hear the chutes treated you well.  And that sounds like a good route down to the car.  Better than stumbling out in ski boots, in any case.  Beautiful day in the mountains!

-Andrew

Great to see you up there too Andrew. Suprisingly we saw only two other groups of skiers all day: two early skining up and one comming down the chutes as we left the basin.
Hope you got some good turns in.
bobS

Reply to this TR

08-june-22-mt-adams-sw-chutes
bobS
2008-06-23 11:58:37