telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/21/14, 09:38 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  The way back...6/21/08
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: The way back...6/21/08  (Read 1768 times)
Joedabaker

The way back...6/21/08
« on: 06/23/08, 11:49 AM »

Trying to lighten the mood a little and think about skiing.
Nothing like skiing to take your mind off of some heavy duty thinking.
If I was a psychiatric Dr. I would prescribe skiing as the best way to get your mind straight, then I would go out of business because everyones problems would be solved, and then I would have to ski to forget my problems of losing my business.  Wink
Poor Kyle was frequently identified as a skier, yet he is a snowboarder... and a fine young man.

The boys would have been proud!
3 pictures NW Bullion Basin:
1) The Scotsman leaving it behind him.
2) Kyle not skiing-Where are your wool gloves you were wearing when it was 80 degrees?
3) Everyone leaves a mark on this world.

The most laughter shared was when a small snowbridge collapsed under Scotsman and he was boot deep in an ice cold stream or when I decided to rail ride the last vestiges of snow on the edge of a 20 ft trail burm.

* Scotsman_getting_it_done.jpg (50.39 KB, 640x463 - viewed 533 times.)

* Kyle_riding_both_waves.jpg (57.11 KB, 640x385 - viewed 554 times.)

* Leaving_our_mark.jpg (40.98 KB, 640x427 - viewed 549 times.)
Big Steve

Re: The way back...6/21/08
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/08, 11:57 AM »

Great pics.  Good deed this weekend.

Samthaman from VT is at the airport.  He had good things to say about skiing with you guys at Chinook Pass early in his PNW trip.  I hope to bump into you you someday.
skierguitarist

« Reply #2 on: 06/23/08, 12:00 PM »

Hi Joe!  So where are you skiing at locally these days...like in these pics.?

Here in Bend, I'm thinking of heading over to N. sister for a look... friends said two weekends ago everything looked in condition (though things can change mighty rapidly).   Century drive is open supposedly (from Bach. on out to Devils lake and s. sister trail hd.).

Yah work is not working as I have none and now I'm sicker than a dog...so as soon as I get my health back, it back to the mountains to fill my soul...

GOOD WEEK TO YOU,  Rich
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: 06/23/08, 12:19 PM »

Nice tracks guys -- a fitting farewell.

For the life of me, though, I can't figure out what Kyle's got going on in that second picture.  Smiley

Let's get out there and get some turns sometime soon fellas.
Joedabaker

« Reply #4 on: 06/23/08, 12:28 PM »

So where are you skiing at locally these days...like in these pics.?
Rich,
There is plenty of snow up around Chinook and Sunrise may open in the upcoming weeks. If you PM me I can keep you up on the conditions if you want to know. These pictures were taken at Bullion basin, a bit of a hike with skis on the back. No need for climbing skins there.
It really was great to meet you touring on Bachelor a few weeks ago, you seem like a great guy!
I would really like to get down there to see more of that wonderful terrain that Bend has to offer!
Get better soon, you know what I prescribe...More skiing!

For the life of me, though, I can't figure out what Kyle's got going on in that second picture.  Smiley

Let's get out there and get some turns sometime soon fellas.
That picture is amazing, he was riding off a snow berm right below me. Somehow the snow was in his face and on a rooster tail at the same time of the picture, but he was on his board dragging his fingers. Cool!

Let me know when you want to go skiing and we will make it happen.
Joe
Stugie

« Reply #5 on: 06/23/08, 01:58 PM »

Kyle told me he's trying to learn how to do headstands while riding...I guess it's easier to try on corn than on pow...Wink  Nice tracks guys!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Kyle Miller

« Reply #6 on: 06/23/08, 04:45 PM »

Ha ha that picture is great but I dont remember dragging my forehead on the slope Huh. I really like digging into those berms you were right when you said it looked like I was falling and as to the whole skiing thing I consider myself a skier as I'm skinning 90% of the time.

On sunday I went up to Chinook pass and attempted to nail the prominent chute we had noticed from the ridge. After rock climbing some nasty headwalls I gave up on the west face then attempted to access it from the ridge which was way to sketchy. I finally gave up and sat on the summit of 6597 for a few hours listening to the helicopters, the mountains have always been my place of therapy.

Sorry Joeda Mission Failed

* Dewey_Lake.jpg (99.71 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 346 times.)

In a perfect world, everybody would act with the correct etiquette and follow the rules. Human nature as it is= NOT GOING TO HAPPEN....no matter how many discussion on ski blogs/websites. Face reality............
Stugie

« Reply #7 on: 06/23/08, 06:48 PM »

Dude, that's a sweet pic though!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Joedabaker

« Reply #8 on: 06/23/08, 07:15 PM »

Ha ha that picture is great but I dont remember dragging my forehead on the slope Huh.

On sunday I went up to Chinook pass and attempted to nail the prominent chute we had noticed from the ridge.

Sorry Joeda Mission Failed

It is an interesting photo, I don't remember seeing skid marks on your face.

Good attempt, that slope is a ways away, nice picture. Not a failed mission, just another day to go out and have fun.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.