Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2008, Paradise toward McClure Rock

June 22, 2008, Paradise toward McClure Rock

6/22/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Marco on 6/22/08 2:24pm
Mad_Dog's suggested mission for the day was to tour from the upper Paradise parking lot to McClure Rock via Golden Gate with options for more sporty descents should interests and conditions allow...

Ron J, Bonnie, and I departed from Paradise under drizzly skies and low visibility with hopes we would soon get above the weather and enjoy some true "summer skiing" complete with sunshine.  As the day played out we never got completely out of the weather, but nonetheless enjoyed some peek-a-boo views of the summit and some occasional blue skies with our lunch break.  Constantly vigilant with regard to backcountry safety, Ron also brought along his patented margarita snow treatment to assure none of us got sick from giardia...   :D

We did notice a fairly recent ~40 meter wide crown on a Southeast aspect below McClure Rock at perhaps 7000', but everything we skied was well consolidated with only the occasional slow moving wet sluff.  Its amazing there is still so much snow out there for late June!

This was my first tour since breaking my shoulder in February, and many thanks to Mad_Dog, Ron, Bonnie, and the greater TAY community for the inspiration to get back out.   :)
Thanks for the report Marco and to Ron and Jeanette for trip planning and touring guide. Weather is never a problem with Garfunkel and you are right about the support from the community. Next we get Jeanette back on two feet!!

Nice Mellow tour you guys.  Very enjoyable.

Bonnie

and Marco

you certainly had your way with that corn.

More pictures posted HERE.

Nice trip planning, MadDog, what's next?

Marco, that book I mentioned that has all the great historical info about Rainier is entitled "Mountain Fever - Historic Conquests of Rainier", by Aubrey L. Haines.  It has apparently been republished after being out of print for many years.  It is the best book I have read on Rainier's historical pioneers.

Great photos, glad everyone had a good tour. 
author=ron j link=topic=10428.msg42337#msg42337 date=1214367420]
Nice trip planning, MadDog, what's next?

I'm pondering a couple of ideas.

author=snoseeker link=topic=10428.msg42165#msg42165 date=1214239611]
Next we get Jeanette back on two feet!!

4 more weeks in the cast for me.  Be careful out there, there are "dragons" lurking  ;).

Thanks Ron for the photos and link to the book on Rainier.  Its always fun to have some historical context for places we enjoy so much...

Looking forward to getting out again soon!

Reply to this TR

june-22-2008-paradise-toward-mcclure-rock
Marco
2008-06-22 21:24:30