Home > Forum > Sauk Mountain, modified to request past experiences

Sauk Mountain, modified to request past experiences

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
21 Jun 2008 10:37 - 22 Jun 2008 11:47 #182103 by Alan Brunelle
So, I have modified this post to expand my request for information to include any information anyone might have on past trip experiences.

I have hiked this in late summer with the wife and kids, but I would like info on the quality of the ski at or about this time of year. I am looking for a trip that is less than three hours drive (from the Seattle area) that offers good skiing for my son and I. The relatively short approach hike and what appeared to be challenging downhill terrain I think will keep my son's interest high. Also it looks like a boot back up, which will be a departure from the skinning approaches that we have done together. I think this will teach him one more technique.

So the question would be about the hike up over patches of steep snow and additionally, how are the drop ins to the lake? Is this a fun trip?

Anyone been up the trail lately. The NFS web site has 6/12 as the last reporting date and I was wondering if anyone had been up the trail since then.

Also, if you have skied to the lake and the conditions.

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2008 22:26 #182132 by russ
It's been a few years since I've been to Sauk, but I can answer a few of your questions. If the road is clear to within a couple of switchbacks of the summer parking it's pretty short hike and ski. The trail is very good as it traverses the south side of Sauk, but the last 200 ft can be a little tricky if it still has snow banks - nothing major, but someplace to take care (maybe bring an ice axe just in case).  Once on the top of the ridge, it's straight forward working along the ridge back to the obvious entrance into the Sauk Lake basin.  The ski down to the lake is very fun and you can either skin or boot back to the starting point.

I've skied it a couple of times, but  have great memories of taking my two kids and wife up there for a fun day of butt, belly and back sliding some of the top slopes - human tobaggen material  :)

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
23 Jun 2008 14:48 - 23 Jun 2008 14:53 #182143 by cmosetick
I was at Sauk Mountain in August or September of 2004. There was only a couple small patches of snow, just big enough for two people to stand on. We ended up deciding to bushwhack our way down to Sauk Lake, and as it was so steep and so thick with flora it took us quite a long time. However, it was worth it to go to the lake. It was beautiful and the water was so cool and refreshing. I kept thinking to myself how much fun it would be to ski this area when there was enough snow... As this was a hiking trip, I promised myself I should come back sometime when there is still enough snow to ski, but I haven't made it back there yet. Burgdorfer has the starting point of this tour at 4500 ft and the high point listed at 5541 ft. I don't know what the elevation of the lake is, but I would guess it's around 3000 ft. I would think that since we had a lot of snow this past winter and since the weather has been more on the cooler side lately, that there might be a chance for good ski conditions right now in late June.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
23 Jun 2008 19:06 #182144 by Alan Brunelle
Thanks for the help.

I too have hiked this with my kids, but did not go to the lake.

I am going to explore this week and if it ends up positive I will post.

I did go back quite some years ago in the TAY posts and found a couple of reports.

Since I have been there, I know a little of the terrain, but my concern is if the road is open yet and if the trail is snow free. The trail switches back and forth on pretty steep terrain and I wouldn't want to tumble there.

Alan