Home > Trip Reports > June 20, Alpental/Denny

June 20, Alpental/Denny

6/15/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by telemack on 6/20/08 4:38pm
The combo. of last day for teachers at my high school and the solstice led me to ditch work early and do a PM climb.  Skis on at the car still.  Booted up the summit knob for stellar views on the first day of summer.  Upper International was bare for 20', then good uneven corn with the odd cobble lying about.  People will be walking at the base soon.
Hello to the pair on top of the lift, and to wolfs.
And hello to you, Telemack  ;D
Sounds like a great way to spend last day of school.

Rather than going to top C2 I ventured for a few laps in the 'backcountry' so I'll report on conditions there. Martin and Sharon bowls were still pretty good, some sections lumpier because of old slides but snow texture was softish and decent semi corn. From Stokes onward there seemed to be more incipient runnels and cups, and a little stickier too (pollen?) but still decently skiable. Still lots of coverage on various lines beyond the Cleaver. I went down Draft Dodger and Big Trees, no problems there. And still continuous snow on the traverse out. Don't go down Trashcan (it's a waterfall now ;) )

Conditions photos (to placate Jim Oker  ;) ):
Stokes
Upper I
Red- still just enough coverage ... I think
Daas toof und Pineapple

I headed up that way today (the 21st) to make another mosey up Snoqualmie. Things on the N/E side of the valley are pretty well melted out. In the ski resort, coverage is still kind of ok, with solid coverage on International. Near the base, you'll be patching things together. The "backcountry"'s still mostly covered, as is the E aspect of Bryant. Access to the upper part of Snoqualmie's probably more enjoyable from the Commonwealth side now, though the steep forest was peaceful in its own way.

Amazing what two week's melting will do. The lower Phantom path is, whereever slide alder grows, now well over head high with brush. Lots of flowers poking their way out. I even saw a little garter snake! In sub-par news, I also got my first devil's club scratch of the year. Must be summer.

Telemack,

Bill Doyle here, we chatted at the top of the lift.

Reply to this TR

june-20-alpental-denny
telemack
2008-06-20 23:38:56