Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2008, Shuksan NF up, WS down

June 20, 2008, Shuksan NF up, WS down

6/20/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 6/20/08 12:29pm
Kevin, Monika, and I got a 5:15 am start from the turn off to the WS lodge today.  At the end of the road beneath chair 8 we made a slowly descending traverse dropping about 250 feet before dropping to the bottom of a snow filled gulley after we we were through the bush.  A quick pace brought us to the bottom of the NF in 2 hours from the car.  At the pace these guys were going my heart was either going to explode or I was going to puke by the time we got to the top of the face.  On the face we found deep mank and the pace slowed considerably.  Belayed across one questionable crevasse crossing.  A little bit of routefinding on the glacier before we were able to head right and get on the face proper.  Massive runnels with vertical walls were interesting features.  Face was really soft and we decided early on that we would not ski down it, but thought it safe enough to walk up.  If anyone wants to get to the top of the NF with perfect bucket steps, now is the time.  Monika and Kevin worked hard on putting in these steps, I just worked hard.  Topped out on the face and traversed under the summit pyramid to the upper Curtis and skied down the White Salmon Glacier.  Decided to forego the summit for safer ski conditions as it was continuing to warm up.  Good call as the snow was still good on the White Salmon.  Glacier goes pretty easily now without too much traversing and crevasse avoidance issues.  Back to the car in 2 hours from turning around.  Great trip!  Aerobically fanatic company!
Nice trip!  Sounds like you guys got some great conditions for skiing it!

you guys never cease to amaze me with your superhero strength and speed!  photos look great too.  :)

COOL!!!! (And oh so quick....)

Reply to this TR

june-20-2008-shuksan-nf-up-ws-down
Oyvind_Henningsen
2008-06-20 19:29:11