Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2008, Naches Circumnavigation Counter Clockwise

June 20, 2008, Naches Circumnavigation Counter Clockwise

6/20/08
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by Zap on 6/20/08 12:27pm
We parked at upper Tipsoo Lake and started our counter clockwise circumnavigation at 10am.  What€™s the rush?  There was excellent coverage on the entire route.  The snow surface is slightly sun cupped, and I saw the first signs of the red/pink algae in a few places.  Ski penetration was 1-2€.  The snow pack seems consolidated and we had only a few small donuts on some steeper descents.  Mt. Rainier had a lenticular cloud until around 12:30pm.  We saw an interesting feature in the sky - a horizontal rainbow.  The rainbow was a horizontal band and was only visible along a small segment of the sky.  See photos.  I also took a few photos of the Sunrise area which seems to have excellent coverage.  There was a pleasant breeze during the entire trip.  As we returned to the city, it became so warm that we actually turned on the vehicle€™s air conditioning.  Summer skiing just doesn€™t get much better.
I was up there today as well. I climbed naches twice.

Pehaps you heard me yodeling?

Here's my shot of the rainbow as I approached naches peak via the north (?) bowl

great info.
thanks.

Nice job Zap,
When I was driving from Portland and over Cayuse, I almost drove off the road looking at that rainbow.
Glad you captured it in a photo! That was really some phenomena.

Nice trip on a pleasant day!
I wanted to run and get my skis, but I was to focused on the Union Creek thing.

Keith, we did hear your yodeling and Jill responded with a mini yodel.  ;)

We too were impressed by the "rain"bow.  Very vivid.  Daughter Heidi & I were dragging her BF along for his first backcountry experience (freeheel, too!)  He survived, though the borrowed boots kind of ate his feet.

Zap, we too went CCW, but were behind you by an 1/2 hour or so. (Those darn kids always want to sleep in and miss all the sun crust...)

Keith, we heard no yodel, but likely chatted with you for a while on the south side of the peak.  If so, nice to have met.

The bowl on the E has some mighty fine skiing...

-Dave R

Reply to this TR

june-20-2008-naches-circumnavigation-counter-clockwise
Zap
2008-06-20 19:27:49