Home > Trip Reports > June Turns in Southern California (month 57)

June Turns in Southern California (month 57)

6/15/08
US elsewhere
Posted by asandygal on 6/20/08 5:44am
Just stumbled onto this forum, but have been skiing TAY for a few years now... all in California.

98 degrees at home in So Cal on June 14th... but there was the possibility of June turns in the local mountains (just an hour's drive away)...

When we got to the trailhead the thermometer in the car still said 84 degrees and everyone thought we were crazy to be packin' with skis (we were honestly wondering ourselves) since there was absolutely NO snow to be seen

We cheated for the first 1000 vertical and rode the chair.

1/2 hour into the hike, still no snow...

We met many people who told us "there's no snow up there..." or "you might find enough snow to build a snowman, maybe".  In the heat of the afternoon, we had to keep our faith.  There would be a "patch"... :)

We've hiked to the top of Baldy many times on this route, but with 35-40 pound packs on our back the Devil's Backbone seemed a little sharper...

Another 40 minutes of views (none with any snow in sight) and another 800 vertical we FINALLY turned a corner and had a glorious sight...

PATCHES!!!!

At the saddle (and the last accent to the summit) this patch was obvious,

but it was pretty suncuppy and knarled, so we went exploring.  On the North side of the saddle, down lower, we found our patch...

View from the set-up point, with Dawson Peak and Pine Mountain in the distance...

Turn #2 (and we were DEFINITELY counting them)... the snow was soft and corny...

Putting on the brakes and getting desperate...

'cause that was only turn #8 and the rocks were approaching quickly...

A quick traverse (but turns still consecutive, I swear ;)) to set up for a quick #9 and #10 

Then the quick hike back up...

Back at the top, a quick "summit shot" at the top of our June Turns Patch (there is snow below me ...)

Then it was time to pack up and start the longest part of the day... the hike out. 

After hiking about 30 minutes back, the Baldy Notch in the center of this pic (the TOP of the 15 minute chairlift), was still a LONG way away. 

At this point it was already 5:30... much too late to catch the last chair back down, so we knew we had a long hike ahead of us.   

As was our luck, however, we met a Baldy local ski patroller about half-way down from the Notch to the parking lot and he gave us a lift the rest of the way to our car.  Thank you, Joey!!!

All in all... another great day in the mountains!  and a Happy Month 57!!! 

and it's nice to know we are not alone in our lunacy!!!
Your dedicated is admired.  However, feel free to consider a trip to WA anytime you need to get your turns in....  Our snow is more accessible.  ;)

What a relief you found snow at all...  That could have been a real letdown if you couldn't ski at all.

Nice job on month 57!  Nice streak!  So, I'm curious if you're willing to share where you're able to get turns in August and Sept...I'm guessing the Sierra Nevada somewhere?  Nice work, thanks for joining up in the TAY community!  Looking forward to more reports from CA!

I remember in the fall of 2004, must have almost been October, there was a still patch of snow on the north side of Baldy!  Perhaps the beginnings of the North Baldy Glacier?  Would have only been good for two or three turns, tops, though.  That was sure a wet spring.

Anyway, way to get after it and thanks for pictures of some old stomping grounds.

-Andrew

Tioga Pass and Mammoth Lakes have been our destinations for our late summer turns... 

The Kook Chute served us well for September and August and July this past year:

- September

- August

- July

And we got our late June turns on a patch under Dunderburg Peak...

We've hit a variety of other "patches" over the years... sometimes the skiing isn't pretty, but it gets done :).

Are any of you in the Sierra?  We are always looking for friends to join us or for insight as to the snow (or no-snow) conditions.

Wow, asandygal, thanks for sharing your pics of these areas!  I am memorized!  Way to get it - for 57 straight months!

impressive. very impressive!

Ahh Mt Baldy. I remember a multi-foot bluebird opening day when I lived down there. Good stuff..

Reply to this TR

june-turns-in-southern-california-month-57
asandygal
2008-06-20 12:44:16