Home > Trip Reports > November 22, 2003, Buillon and Cement Basins

November 22, 2003, Buillon and Cement Basins

11/22/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by juan on 11/23/03 3:05am
What an unbelievable first day of the season for me.  It reminded me of mid-winter in the rockies.

Anyhow, we toured from the Crystal parking lot into Buillon Basin and up to the north ridge.  We hit a small summit and dropped into the NE bowls.  knee deep-fluff, very light and consistent.

Pit on the NE aspect showed 2' of new over a 2" thick rain crust.  Below this was a hard slab on top of what appears to be some depth hoar.  RB and compression tests sheared at the rain crust with a RB score of 5.  Further loading did not shear the bottom layers.

Pit on the S/SW aspect showed pretty similar conditions, but with a hair thicker rain crust below the 2' of new.  Skiing on the SW aspect was awseome, though you could ski down to the rain crust layer.  skiing was fast and fluffy.

All in all a great day, mid-range stability in the evolving pack.
forgot to say that total depths were around 4'

juan...thanks for the update.  That's one of my favorite places to BC near Crystal.  Was wondering how the tour was up thru the tree's from the bottom.  A bit thin in pack I assume.
Did you hit any rocks coming off the upper ridge?

To a deep winter...

Yeah, nice report, juan.  Thanks.

Don, if you were to point 'em straight down to the parking lot you would hit alot of shrubs.  however, we skied selctively all the way to the car with no problem.  had to stick to the skin track in a couple spots is all..

Don, I was also out with there among several groups. Would add some rocks at that appr 5900' roll off of the basin to look for. Yes, fairly brushy below the usual creek crossing. The dumps this week may cure that. VERY IMPORTANT: We checked with patrol and they had seen several slides to the ground faceted layer. They felt it is still very dangerous especially on the usual north and east aspects. Talked to two groups doing Union Creek that day and they saw nothing slide. So I guess some things to be aware of.

Juan & nickd...thanks for the additional update and (nickd) for the word of caution.  I'm new to the board here but was pleasently supprised to have you respond. Good to know both of you are experienced and are watching out for your back side.  Nothing takes the place of on-the-hill observations but to get a feel for what's happening before hand is great.
I'm a 20 year + BC skier but up in them-thar-hills the hazard is nothing to take lightly - what a week of snow fall we've had, it's no doubt going to be touchy for a while out there expecally if we get some high winds.  I live about 25 miles north of Portland but prefer to make the drive to Crystal - most of the time - instead of driving to Mt. Hood.

Looking forward to futher updates...

Don

Reply to this TR

november-22-2003-buillon-and-cement-basins
juan
2003-11-23 11:05:09